Chronicles of the battles for the Ardir Forest

Writing done for Aserra, both by the creator, and works by members.
little knight
Chronicles of the battles for the Ardir Forest

Post by little knight » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:59 pm

"I write this primarily out of simple duty, i'm not much of a writer, and i've never taken a liking to a measure of work that this will likely entail, but if I don't then future generations may not fully understand the reason why we took so many lives. That, and i'm being forced to write it by several of my staff officers."
Azala wore his typical outfit, the silver shirt opened at the top, the formal wear looking almost comical against the disheaveled looks and his unshaved face. While he had officially taken office as the Ranger General of Fayl'Idayn side of the defenses of the Ardir Forest, he hadn't changed much. While he had constantly had complaints made against them, he hadn't even batted an eye. He even supposed that if he didn't have a decent enough record against invaders he would have been forced to resign.

As it was, he was laying in the sun over his home, he has specifically had it grown so that there would be a location bathed in the sun, a place he often layed, enjoying the warmth against his skin. Unfortunately, usually this was usually interrupted. He supposed his officers probably took turns doing interruptions just to be a bit irritating. And this day was no exception.

The first officer he had picked when he had been appointed to this position had been Malona, a striking Fayl'Idayn with mixed Dra'nafod decent. Her own garb was similiar to his, although she had always choose the green tunic with gold ivy designs laced around it. Unlike Azala, she kept her high necked tunic laced to the top. While one rarely expected it from her light frame, she was an accomplished fighter, and her archery put most of the other rangers to shame. Despite her pixie like face being 'cute', Azla recognized the grim shade that now gripped her face. "General, something urgent... Humans have invaded the woods."

Azala usually expected these interruptions to be relatively light, usually the emergency ended up being 'A spider was eating a moth', or a particularly rare case when they had captured a Kuzo and dressed it in a rather frilly pink dress. How they pacified it, and where they got the outfit still perplexed him, although at the time they had said it was new Kuzo battle armor. This time, however, he was greeted with a rather annoying report. "Eh, if its just a few adventurers, just let them through the forest and be done with them. If they cause problems, kick them out, nothing else to it."

"They aren't adventurers." Malona stated, holding up an axe, the handle stained with blood, judging by the location, it likely belonged to a human. "They're cutting down our forest, we suppose we overreacted, but we couldn't believe they were killing the woods."

Azala sighed, taking the axe and staring at the blood. This wouldn't go well, but he supposed there was still time for some semblence of negotiation. "Have Asmar write up a letter and leave it in the camp, we'll leave it as a warning."

While we've had to deal with farmers before, when I saw the scale of which they had cut down our home I could understand my subordinates actions. Our wood stained the ground much as human blood now did, and unlike the farmers which had been sometimes allowed to take a tree for the sake of thier family and livlihoods, it seemed these loggers were just cutting it down for something sinister. I would love to report that the warning worked, but soon more humans came and resumed operations, this time bringing I can only assume was an army. While I loath to take the life and indulge in blood shed that shall soon occur, the humans have left us with no choice.
Azala - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Elessa La Roux - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Eris Blackstaff - Profile - Gallery - Available
Gurt Longear - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Pharen Greywords - Profile - Gallery - Plot
little knight

Re: Chronicles of the battles for the Ardir Forest

Post by little knight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:22 pm

The farmers surrounding the Ardir Forest have been evicted, some of which have been there for a few generations, and have long been allowed to live near our borders on the principal of our laws and systems. Most have benefitted from our system of Culling diseased trees or dying trees around our homes, and there has been some semblence of friendship, with the current situation I have decided that forcing them to leave was for safety reasons. Many rangers have become increasingly angered, and while most of them can temper themselves, I can't risk another incident with humans.

Apparently some higher up among the humans has appeared at the primary logging camp, and has made an expedition within our woods to, I would assume to ascertain why the initial camp was massacred, and why subsequent casualties have occured. While i've managed to keep my rangers from killing the loggers outright, I have ordered them to disable them any chance occurs, and i've found most are terribly effective marksmen. As for the human expeditionary force, I ordered my rangers to watch them, but not to attack, and have since made my way to the human's location. Hopefully, this situation will be resolved peacefully, but I have significant doubts.
little knight

Post by little knight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:07 pm

While Azala generally moved slowly, most situations found him lounging, at the moment his true speed was being shown. In the forest canopy, he jumped from branch to branch effortlessly, with speed that even a horse migth have trouble keeping up with. At his flank he was followed by Malona, Desra, Casstia, and much to his annoyance Sera. While he had ordered the majority of his officers to either evict humans around or within the wood, these were his ost elite fighters, the fact that all of them were quite attractive was just the icing on the cake. Sera, however, was a novice, and it was only at Malona's urging that she was allowed to follow. Her inexperiance showed, and she was having a hard time following the veteran rangers.

The need for haste was due to inevitability. He had ordered his forces not to engage the humans, but he had to be practical. Either his rangers would lost patience with the order, despite any consequence that he could dictate, and engage. If not them, Ochae'nafod, and he would imagine even the normally peaceful Dra'nafod would be inclined to fight. He had sent rangers to various tribes, diplomacy dictated that, but he had asked that he be allowed to deal with the situation for the time being.

They had known where the humans were within a few miles, thier sharp ears picking up the echos of metal against ground, likely armor, and the sound of a lone horse. "Right, i'll try to talk some sense into them."

"If they're humans, they're devoid of that, brother!" Desra chimed in, her sing song voice belied a surprisingly aggresive nature. Out of his staff officers, the lithe and athletic woman was the only one who actually had pursued him. She had a tendacy to refer to most as either 'brother' or 'sister', reguardless of relation to her, he'd even heard her calling a Kuzo 'brother' once. Her forte had always been as a fencer, although it was likely due to the ochae'nafod decent. At least that had always been his assumption. Her garb consisted similiar to Malona with green hued clothing and golden ivy embroderie, although she had taken a liking to tribal tattoos and piercings.

As for Casstia, she had broken off from the rest of the group. Whereas Malona had a pixie and innocent look and silver hair, and Desra had a fierce look with brown hair, Casstia looked almost frail, her own hair had been snowy white, and she was built willowy, most thought a small gust could push her over. But he knew few fae magic users with her skill, and she had recently begun to study shamanism. Among the group, she was likely the only pure blooded Fayl'Idayn, and possessed a surprisingly reserved and quiet nature.

"Its a fight we could win if it came to that!" Sera had spoken the last part, and it was obvious that it was from a novice ranger. While the others may have put on a face of amusement, they knew the possibility of war with humans would be costly. There would be no guerenteed victory. Humans were children, but they greatly outnumbered Fayl'Idayn, and had no compulsion to life that they rangers did. Sera's own appearence Mirrored Azala, her blonde hair and bright green eyes marked the start of a beautiful face, she had even taken to wearing silver like Azala, although the high necked tunic was closed to the top, almost reaching her chin. Unlike Azala, she had mastered the bow, although she had started to learn her way around the blade.

As they approached the humans, Azala could see them clearly despite the marginal distance. A small company of soldiers, 20, armored, at thier front a lone rider with an alien flag raised above him. Jokingly Azala compared it to a bird eating an eel, although he assumed that was either the country he hailed from's coat of arms, or the knight's family. A shield addored his side, and a broad side his hip, the armor was terribly shiney, looked terribly heavy, and would avail him little in a wooded situation. The truth of the matter was, the heavy armored soldiers were heavily armored fish in a small pool of water. They were slow, they could be surrounded easily, and if a rain hit the forest would prove mucky. Azala shook off those thoughts, he had come here to talk, not to gauge their strenght. While the other rangers held thier position, Azala landed without a sound at the leader's head, causing the horse to whicker lightly, the rider holding the reigns. His ears picked up the sound of Casstia flanking them, and he could already tell the others were doing the same. The knight didn't know it, but he was surrounded, even if his own forces outnumbed the small band of rangers. "Tell me, human, are you here to straighten things out?"
little knight

Post by little knight » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:57 pm

"Who goes there!?" One of the armored individuals stated, unsheathing a blade. Azala had no reaction to him, and his ears could pick up the sound of arrows being notched. Fortunately, the Knight raised his hand, silencing his troops, and hopefully keeping them in line for the time being. "Who are you?"

"Ranger General Azala." The Fayl'Idayn stated in a matter of fact tone of voice, the Knight reacted favorably, although unsheathed his weapon.

"So your the one responsible for... complications... at the logger's camp?" The smile turned into a sneer. "The deaths of many of the King's men?"

"Nah, that wasn't me. Just repricussions and the actions of a few novice rangers, they're being punished." The punishment was simple, they were to be kicked out of the Rangers for a duration of 100 years, during which they would undergo a stricter retraining regiment. It was a slap on the wrist, but there was heavy cause for thier actions. "I'm just the one thats causing the maiming thing. More reprecussions, I suppose."

"Repricussions for what!?" Growled the knight, his ebon locks following into his face, he was still sneering. "Death and maiming, for a few trees?"

"Its relative, really. You humans see it as just cutting down some vegetation. To us..." Azala crossed his arms, and cocked his head to the side. Still, the Fayl'Idayn seemed to have a bored expression on his face. "It would be like Fayl'Idayn going into one of your cities, and begin burning down your homes and killing your friends without any provacation whatsoever."

"Whatever the case..." The Knight scowled, pointing his blade Azala, an obvious threat, although the Fayl'Idayn didn't react. "You murdered innocent people in the name of the sake of a few trees, and have hampered our efforts for lumber. My King has asked that I evict you by any means necissary. I will overlook your past transgressions, but I will kill you and your kind if you do not leave the woods. The Ardir is now the King's property, and he wishes to use it."

"Evict us?" Azala stated in a monotone voice. "This forest is no human's, nor will it ever be. While we may tolerate your kind here, and even try to establish friendly relations at times, you drastically underestimate the denizens of the wood if you believe it out of weakness."

Azala composed himself, he couldn't believe the human's arrogance. The Fayl'Idayn, Ochae'nafod, Dra'nafod had dwelt there, and seen the rise and fall of human powers. The fact that a human king now claimed some semblence of ownership was vexing, to say the least. "Well, I digress. I presented myself to tell you to leave. You have destroyed our home, claimed ownership of lands we have lived within since we broke from the Idayn, and you now have the arrogance to claim ownership of our lives? For those alone we have the right to remove you by force, but prefer to avoid killing so many humans. Humans will no longer be allowed within the forest, unless the elders proclaim otherwise. We may forgive your kind, but for now, leave and peace..."

"Haughty elf, this is my answer!" With that the horse whickered, and charged with the training of many years of horsemanship. Unfortunately, Azala had hundreds of years of fighting experiance, and with a simple draw, the rider's head was severed from his body. Unfortunatyely for the troops under the Knight's command, each ranger within the tree tops took the charge as a que, and within a few seconds the force of humans lay covered with arrows, or cleaved by blade.

"So you heard what he said..." Azala said passively, resheathing his weapon, his tone serious for a change. "Go inform the elders, we'll have to gather for this. Its been a while since our kind has been to war, hopefully we havn't forgotten how to wage it..."
little knight

Post by little knight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:16 am

"After the incident between the humans and myself, the elders were called into a council. Not just of our race, but of every denizen who lived within the forest. These councils were rarely called, but unfortunately there was no choice in the matter. I myself attended, primarily to give a report on what exactly had happened. While some saw my actions as irresponsible, others saw it as inevitable. Either way, I was not asked to step down, and was told to continue my sortieing against the human loggers while they deliberated on what they had to do.

We buried the knight and his men, but we're not quite nice enough to simply send the bodies back, or even send the horse back. Indeed, while the horse mourns for its master, we conveyed to the creature that it had one last duty to perform before it could choose its own fate on the matter. But for now, the Knight's failed expedition had its own benefits.

Due to the size of the Ardir, any traveling across it takes weeks. In heavy armor, a few months. But they were searching, likely for our homes, although thankfully they were to far south to be anywhere near our main settlements. Thanks to the expedition, the loggers wouldn't miss the Knight for around a week, likely longer. While the council convened, we were free to harass and disable the forces gathered, the loggers themselves, and at night we frequently destroyed or stole any tools they might have about. Within a few days, the small army that had gathered had been whittled down, the loggers, despite having cut down a large swath of destruction, had ceased operations due to lack of men and equipment. By the time a few riders were sent out for reinforcements, realizing that maybe thier leader wasn't comming back, the forces there were forced to pull back out of simple attrition.

As the humans abandoned these logging settlements, we moved in at night and destroyed them. Soon, the forest lay quiet from the sound of chopping, although the dead scar around it would take some time to heal, if ever. As for the reinforcements, I had Asmar and Desra watch the roads with a good portion of our rangers as well. Likely, whatever is comming is a few days out. In the mean time, the elders have reached a decision, once more I was summoned.
little knight

Post by little knight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Azala stood alone, fairly uncomfortable. His face was shaved, his hair was neatly kept, and his own clothing was well kept, the high collared jacket he wore was closed and snugly fit around his neck. Despite the room seemingly filled with other people his own age, there was a several hundred year gap between himself and any of the elders gathered within the 'hall', several thousand in the case of the Dra'nafod elders; some of which bore scars from the war of the gods. The tree they had gathered was specifically made for this purpose, and it was one of the largest within the forest, its branches forming the hall, and its canopy and leaves forming a roof, the thickness the of the leaves and the upper canopy allowed little noise to escape.

As for Azala's reason for being alone, it was simple. His subordinates were asked not to come. Of course, he had sent them to the edge of the forest with the majority of the rangers. That was out of some semblence of authority, and now that he was among the true rulers of the forest, he had to admit he felt fairly small.

The meeting had gone as he expected. He was chastised for allowing the situation to go so far, chastised for killing the Knight and his men although at the end of that he had been forgiven for spilling blood as there was no other way. There was talk of stripping him of his position, either removing him from the rangers entirely, or simply making him one and raising one of his officers, Azala stood in silence during all of this, only speaking when asked a question about the current events.

What surprised him was that he was spoken well of by the Dra'nafod elders, who were normally terribly peaceful. The Ochae'nafod seemed neutral, while his own people had been wary of the events. Finally, came the decision on what he was called for. War.

"We have talked about this for some time." The chairmen chosen was Fayl'Idayn, since the events primarily involved them. "While there was some reservation, we believe that your rangers only hastened the events that occured. The blood shed that has occured was inevitable, and as such we agreed your actions, while brash, were fundementally right."

Azala nodded silently, although wondered why they had talked about his removal up to this point. "According to your report, you believe they will send reinforcements, although the current force they have gathered was pacified?"

"Yes, elder. We've disabled the majority of thier forces, and the loggers are now to terrified to cut down our woods. It would be foolish to believe that they've just given up. The cost we've shown them so far has been marginal at best." Any life was considered sacred to all those present, but Azala had studied a little human tactics to know about the use of 'fodder' to gauge your enemies strength. The ones sent initially had been such, a gauge to see if the inhabitants in the Ardir would allow the deforestation.
little knight

Post by little knight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:11 pm

"Its only a matter of time before they send a much larger force to deal with us." Azala finished his answer, falling silent once more and deferring to the elders.

"And what would you have your forces do then?" A Ochae'nafod elder stated in a gruff voice. He could only assume a predatory bond, he recognized a slight smile. The question was moot, but Azala was forced to answer.

"We make the cost much more substantial. When they get here, we draw them into the woods, and kill them. We leave few, if any survivors, bloody thier nose so as to weaken them, so that the next time they think of destroying our homes, they remember just how much it hurt them." Azala already had a plan, something he based off the first Knight's arrogance. "I ask only that council allow us to do this, and that we be forgiven by Entra for desecrating The Ardir with blood... and if possible, that the events be looked on as a necissary evil by our historians."

"And are your forces sufficient in this?" This time it was a Fayl'idayn who spoke, looking briefly to the Ochae'nafod and Dra'nafod who had gathered. Most seemed to be passive about it, although Azala wondered if it was practiced tempering.

"Its possible. But I would prefer to have anyone who wishes to help join our ranks for the time being. The addition of the mighty Ochae'nafod and the cunning Dra'nafod would be greatly appreciated." Several of the elders flat out laughed, Azala supposed the flattery was a bit to much. "I'll speak pretty openly, then. I need everyone I can get, I have a plan, and i'll admit that it could very well cost us quite a few lives, but I think its the only thing we can do to stop this as quickly as possible."

"Then you'll have our help, young Azala." Azala recognized the elder by the markings, Lupus. Several of the others got up and gave a solemn nod, a few saying words similiar to the first.

"The goddess teaches us to value life, but death is also an inevitability for mortal races." A dra'nafod spoke this time, seemingly disheartened. "I will consult the others and we will see about aid. I cannot forcibly make any take life, but I would imagine many of our younglings may very well be outraged by this."

Azala deeply bowed, and remained so. He felt like a child asking for his parent's permission to do something, and being granted a boon.

As Azala left the council, he was greeted by Malona. She seemed relieved that Azala once more had a rather passive look on his face, his hair was undone, and once more the top of his jacket was unbuttoned, but still looked disturbed. Azala remaines silent, giving her an expectant look. "The humans are within sight of our borders."

She stated flatly, not happy about that, and Azala didn't like the report beyond her first words. Even her pretty face didn't make the words any easier to swallow. "I'd say they number in the tens of thousands..."
little knight

Post by little knight » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:13 pm

I'll be the first to admit that my position is primarily for emergencies and decisions that are just below what would be considered the council's jurisdiction. Indeed, most ranger groups are made of two to five members, and are generally autonomous and able to make thier own decisions. In truth, our military has very little of what humans percieve as dicipline. But when I ordered the total mobilization of active rangers within the Ardir, it took only a few days for them to gather.

As for the Ochae'nafod and Dra'nafod, while I didn't expect much, I was surprised. For the Ochae'nafod, primarily predatory clans had gathered. The Ursus and Lupus have gathered, although a few members of the small Cervus clan have gathered. As for the Odoco, they have inclined not to fight. As for the Dra'nafod, many more than I would have expected. Its hard to say if they're young, or older, and I don't see discussing thier age as pertinant.

Even with the combined forces, i'd say the humans likely outnumber us at least five to one. The primary number of humans consist of footmen, lightly armored with inornate weaponry. Likely gathered peasentry, maybe conscripted farmers and such. Much lesser is what I can assume human archers, although I doubt they have anywhere near the skill to match my ranger's sniping abilities, I still am forced to take them into consideration. As for the leaders, the mounted horseman, Knights as they are called, posture amongst themselves according to the scouts, which works well to our advantage.

As for our own, while I lead the rangers, overall leadership was in question. Several Ochae'nafod clan leaders have gathered, and its hard to say among the Dra'nafod. Despite the initial thought of settling it with a fight, I quelled that notion on practicality. Even in a non lethal fight, any injuries suffered now would prove cumbersome. I assured them that this would be settled in one battle, and incidently I was given temporary leadership. As for my plan, its simplistic, but it plays to our strengths and to our enemies weakness and underestimation of us.

Our Fae magicians were all gathered, and were instructed on what trickery they would use. We would lure the humans into the forest, and then strike, preventing as many as possible as escaping. Once they were in, the fae magics would turn from a lure to madness. I can't say how many lives we will lose, but its the best bet. As for the majority of our army, I have split up elite rangers to instruct and convery the mission. Slaughter, nothing else.
little knight

Post by little knight » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Azala clutched his weapon apprehensively, gauging its weight one more time out of habit more than anything else. The humans had apparently decided on a leader, a youngish human with dark hair and a smug look about him. Still, they're disorganized, and Azala knew that would work well to thier favor. At the moment, he was listening to the final recap from several clan leaders. The larger Ochae'nafod would act as the barriar, thier thick skin would serve them well over the smaller ones in beast form. The Lupus would then charge into the archers, and as one of them had put it 'rip the throats out'. He didn't particularly like the phrase, but he supposed it was accurate. As for the Dra'nafod, the higher level life elementalists would serve as medics, while others that were a bit more aggressive would move in with the ground forces of rangers and act as on the spot triages, but mostly dishing out damage. He himself was part of the ground forces. As for the rest of the rangers, they would wait in the trees, and snipe out the knights. Once the Knights were down, they could kill the infantry at will. With thier accuracy, he doubted the rangers, ochae'nafod, and dra'nafod in the frey would have to worry about friendly fire. "Yeah, that sums it up."

The meeting was ended, and troops were taking position. Most of his officers were in the trees... in fact, the only one who had chosen ground forces was Desra, who was grinning like a mad woman at the thought of a good fight. She trailed behind talking about how many humans she was going to kill, and the gloryious slaughter. Azala himself responded casually, usually with 'oh? is that all? I thought you were better than that'. The one thing Desra liked was being challenged, whether it was as a lover, or as a fighter. He was caught off guard when he heard a famliar voice speak up, it was his sister Sera. "Why aren't I in the ground forces? There are few rangers better than a blade than I!"

Azala calmly turned around. Sera had emulated him, the fact she choose silver and gold as opposed to forest green or shades of the woods irked him in this situation. He himself wore it because he could withstand the bullseye it put on him, as well as marked him for his allies to find him if need be. It was little different from a Knight wearing thier banner. He had also practiced dedication to the sword, and every ranger down on the ground had done the same, or simply had volunteered. Sera, however, was still a novice. Indeed, she had taken to the blade well, and truth be told he imagined when she reached his age she would likely be a much better fighter than he was. "Oh, because your not ready yet. Nothing else to it."

The casual remark caused Sera to draw her weapon, an act to prove herself, but as the blade was unsheathed, she found it knocked from her hand. "Your dead."

Motioning for Desra to follow him, Azala returned his now sheathed weapon to his side. "Just watch and learn. Be safe to."

Desra gave a slight shrug at Sera, before following Azala to the gathered ground forces. Sera, however, only scowled. "I'll show you just how strong i've gotten, brother."

Azala didn't hear that part, instead he wondered if he was maybe a tad to harsh, but reassured himself it was the best way to keep his little sister alive and well. After all, he didn't even know if he would survive this ordeal.

The humans had gathered, and although bickering was still going on about chain of command, the leader ordered thier attack. As they reached the edge of the woods, they were met by rangers, lead by a silver clad warrior. "This is your last chance, humans! Stand back, and leave the forest!"

With a sneer, the dark haired knight ordered a volley, and watched with satisfaction as that silver warrior was wounded, and many rangers fell dead to the plains. "Fall back to the trees!"

Azala hissed, and all at once the rangers began to pour back into the trees, while all human commanders ordered the pursuit, and with a great cry the humans began to pour into the Ardir. As the majority entered, a few lagged behind, the majority being mercenaries who simply wondered how easily the elves had been beaten, and suspected something wrong. As the screaming started from within the woods, the bodies of the 'dead elves' dissapeared, leaving nothing in thier place. Scowling at the woods, these humans would be the few survivors. While a few soldiers would end up escaping, some going mad soon after, the knights who entered would never return. The Shock and Awe plan backfired as the screams echoed throughout the woods. Hours of madness passed, until at last, the mixed sound of metal against metal, inhuman growling, the the maddening sound of death and deception ended. The survivors spoke of the immortal 'Silver Wolf', the elf who had moved within them, slaughtering the knights while others fell to arrows. The immortal silver clad elf had survived getting wounded, only to come back later without even a scratch.

Within the woods the humans treked, following the fleeing elves without much care. The commander knew that they had things won, it only would take a few elves to find the cities, and then the war would come to the brief end that it had started with. Little more than a skirmish before human superiority had been ensured. He didn't even take much notice as the elves split up in different directions, or that the edge of the woods went out of sight. Only did he notice, when the elves he was chasing dissapeared. But that didn't last long, a growl was the last thing he heard before an arrow pierced his skull. Several of his compatriots soon fell, leaving the gathered army leaderless.

With that, the combined might of the Fail'Idayn, Dra'nafod', and Ochae'nafod struck from all directions. If the humans had been paying attention, they would have noticed animals moving about them, flanking them, and moving terribly suspiciously for wild beasts. But it wasn't until the large bears and elks began to tear through thier archers, while wolves moved in unison to kill separated units that the humans began to realize it wasn't just elves they were fighting. Thier eyes decieved them, and the soft song filled thier vision with mock enemies, and unable to trust thier senses, real enemies were quick to dispatch them. Even the trees struck out, occationally a limb striking out with humanoid limbs to take life, or to miraculously bring back life to a seemingly vanquished foe. As the humans fell, eventually a retreat sounded, but so deep in the woods, and the deceptive fae magic making sense of direction impossible, most found themselves running deeper into the woods.

When Azala met the Ochaen'anfod in the middle of the corpses, he and the majority of his forces were covered in blood and gore. While thier deep green tunics hid it well, his own silver tunic was bathed in blood, and looked more crimson now. His face and hair were matted in human blood and gore, and he had to suppress a gag from the sickening smell of blood filling his nose. Behind him, Desra stoo, euphoric as some of the Ochae'nafod, the smell of blood enticing the thrill of the hunt even further. Even now, his sharp ears picked up the sounds of wolves moving in packs, and then screams as they brought down more 'prey'. With the battle won, Azala dug his weapon into the ground, which was now mud from the blood. "Guess its... over..."

He gasped, clearly winded. He himself had rushed headlong into battle, focusing entirely on knights who had been wounded as opposed to killed, and killing them on sight. Desra had followed, killing those who had gotten in his way, or attempted to flank him. If it had been a straight battle, Azala knew he would have been dead, but with the advantage, he couldn't risk a new leader rising.

With the fighting over, the rangers decended from the trees, and the dra'nafod unmerged. They all shared the same grim expression, regreting what they did, but unable to bring themselves from saying it. Azala himself was in a trance, it only broke when Malona came upon him and gave him a light shake. "Can you hear me!?"

"Yeah, sorry. Just a bit...." He couldn't even come up with an explanation, and instead only brought himself to meet Malona's terrified eyes. "Sera's been wounded!"

The two made thier way to where Sera was being treated, Desra had opted to stay and talk to the Ochae'nafod comrades about the glorious battle. Azala didn't see Castia anywhere, and although he worried deeply due to her gentle nature, he knew Sera was hurt. Approaching the sight, he saw his sister, a large gash across her face, with a grimace of pain. A Dra'nafod leaned over her, and the wound finished closing, leaving a grey scar across her right eye, the lid remaining shut while Sera's other eye noticed her brother. "I'm afraid I couldn't save your eye, but your wound has been closed...."

While Azala noted that the Dra'nafod looked like a woman, the voice was clearly male. Moving in, Azala leaned down to hug his prone sister, satisfied she was not mortally wounded. He felt limbs embrace him back, and only after a few minutes did he break the embrace. As he did, he punched her hard on the top of the head, elicitiing an 'ow!' from his prone sister. While she was about to protest, as she looked up, she saw her brother smiling, but tears welled in his eyes. "You... idiot."

With his sister safe, Malona escorting the majority of thier forces back, and the Dra'nafod and ochae'nafod retunring to the main Fail'Idayn settlement for rest, Azala looked for Casstia, the information was given to him by her other lover, Asmar. It didn't take long, she had stayed on the field of battle, high in a tree giving a sorrowful look at the remains. As Azala approached, she took in his blood soaked form with a shutter. "I thought I could be happy with you...but after this..."

Azala gave a weak smile, but gave a slight nod. "I dunno, I think I could make you happy. I thought I did in the past."

"But look at you... at all this!" Casstia's eyes welled with tears, looking around. "I can't even look at you, I don't think I can look at you again without seeing all this blood."

Azala gave a look at the corpses. The plan was to bury them tommorrow, but to many of the forest inhabitants had been to mentally and physically tired to do it right after the fighting. He supposed it would be Fayl'Idayn responisbility in the end, or to leave the bodies to rot. "Your right. This is my mess."

Casstia stood a few moments, before lowering her head. "I've lost interest in you. I thought I could be happy, but I guess I didn't see the violence you could perform by that gentle smile of yours."

As Casstia left, Azala gave a side look at her, her silver locks in the shade. Looking about, he realized most of the Fayl'Idayn probably felt this way. They were life elementals given form, and today they had taken quite a bit of life. For those sworn to protect it, this was the vilest injury that could be inflicted, and it was totally self imposted. After a while, Azala followed suit. While it was spread among the humans that the immortal 'Silver Wolf' hadn't even been scathed, he had lost what would constitute as a wife, and his sister no longer idolized him as well as lost the use of her dominant eye. But worst yet, Azala knew what he had to do to make amends.
little knight

Post by little knight » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:51 pm

I can't imagine the horror that went through the eyes of those humans, or the madness that ensued. Even now, the bodies buried, I can smell the blood in the air. Maybe its just a memory? I can't say for sure. All I know is that a depression has settled over us that in my lifetime I can't recall. While i've ordered the rangers on high alert, I doubt we could repel another attack, could bring ourselves to for that matter. But unfortunately, its the only way.

I lost a lover from the ordeal, I only mention this because as one of my leutenants, she has asked that I grant her leave of service. I still have deep feelings for Casstia, but I wish her all the look with Asmar, who has also left my direct serve. Asmar was reluctant, but I convinced him to out of her happyness. As for Malona and Desra, they're still in my employ, although Malona is noticably lethargic and seems to have become more and more depressed as of late. As for myself, I remain the same, although a bit tired. As for Sera, she's been put into retraining for disobeying me, although its primarily so she can recover from the injury.

Months have passed, while remain at war, scouts have reported humans building fences around the forest, and putting warning signs. While we are still at war, I trust this is a sign that they've given up. No messengers of peace have arrived, so i'm still wary. As for the depression, its gotten worse. Most have given to telling themselves it was a needed evil in what they did, but I suspect the karmic debt weights heavily upon them. From what i've gathered, the Dra'nafod have had a similiar reaction, although most of the Ochae'nafod have remained uneffected. I believe this is my fault, and such I have asked the elders to once again to meet. While I can make contact with our patron goddess, it needs to be made public. I will take karmic debt for the battle, and hopefully it will alleviate the depression. As the one in charge, this is my burden alone.

Once more Azala stood in front of the council, this time more solemn. He had spoken his reasons right off the bat, and most had remained quiet. Several minutes had passed since he had given the news that he would pray to Entra until she made contact back with him, and that he would plead with her to take on all karmic debt for the ordeal. "Do you know what that could do to you?"

"I suppose I do, but it has to be done. Our races are no longer capable of dealing with this without comforting from Entra, and I will entreat her to do that." Azala hadn't told Malona or Desra why he had called the meeting, and truth be told he had no intention of telling them until after the deed was done. If it was just for those two, his soul was a bargain price. But for his people? He would trade his soul happily for thier sake. "I just want the news to be spread afterwards... in a day."

With that, preparations were made. Azala gave an excuse of wanting to be alone in a patrol to his parents, sister, and even Desra and Malona. Making his way to one of the more ancient trees, he climbed it. It took him hours, and while he could have made the trip in a few minutes, he was slow and deiiberate. He was ready, but hesitant. The outcome was certain, and he knew he was scared. So he dragged his feet, but he felt he had the right to in this case. And as he reached the top, the sun was setting. Making himself comfortable, he layed against the ancient tree bark, watching the setting sun. "Well, at least this is lovely scenery to damn my soul to..."

He chuckled, and then closed his eyes. "I'm not generally a praying type, but if you can hear my, Mother... Entra... I beg of you to respond."

After a few moments, he was surprised to hear a response. "Yes, my child?"

Azala suppressed the urge to talk about anything else, but he had to be direct in this. He couldn't drag his feet any longer. "You know of what we've done... we've killed countless humans, and while I believe it was for the good of our home and prosperity, I find my people in an intolerable sadness for the act we committed...I would ask a boon, if all thier karmic debt of that day... if it would be given to me so that I alone carry that burden."

After a few moments the motherly voice spoke again, soothing, but stern. "You hold my teachings dear, that every life is sacred, yet mortals always fight, always invite death. In the end, one side or the other would have died here today. If you are willing to take that burden upon yourself, you must be willing to pay not only in death, but in life as well. Do what you must to right that debt in the many years you have left, but it will only lessen your time in Malbodge by fractions. Are you certain you are willing to sacrifice so much?"

The pit in his stomach grew, but it was a price he was willing to pay. Would pay. "I would do it if only to save my wife from the misery that the conflict has put upon her. If my soul must visit Malbodge to atone for the sins of that battle, I will greet its keepers with a smile, and give all formalities to my tormentors. For my comrades, my wife, and people, I will gladly sacrifice myself. So please..."

After a few moments, Entra spoke once more, the stern yet syphathetic voice in his mind. "Very well. I will assauge their pain and give it all to you. I warn you now, if you do not take a path of peace, the burden you carry will only only exacerbate the Karmic debt earned from further violence."

Taking in the warning, Azala exhaled, surprisinlg himself when he realized he had been holding in his breath for so long. "I thank you, Mother. I shall be a better son from now on."
I can feel the burden, its intangible, but its nagging in the back of my mind. Perhaps its Entra reminding me of the debt I owe? When I returned, it seemed things had gotten back to normal. The veil of depression had lifted, although when the news spread of what I had done, I was treated remarkably differently. Some treated me with respect, but the vast majority have began avoiding me. Desra and Malona remain by my side, although Malona is distinctly angry at me, and i've been chastised several times. But overall, there is a distinct pity in her eyes, and I find her in my embrace more and more.

As for the human issue, i've ordered them to be removed from the woods if they entered, but not killed. As for me, i've begun giving more responsibilities to Malona, who seems to be happy taking on the extra responsibility. Or maybe its protecting me? As for me, i've begun to seek out other Idayn and nafod creatures around our borders. Humans are on my list, but I feel some time must pass before a true peace can form. Hopefully, I can see it with my own eyes.