Kalesten Calendar

Here's where to discuss world information. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them on this board. Many articles have a corresponding discussion thread, so if you want more information on a race or nation find the index stickied at the top of the board. Otherwise, feel free to post new topics for questions and such.
Forum rules
Rules of Development
  1. Keep in mind that this world may be published in one way or another. I encourage you not to integrate any concepts of a story or RPG world that you are creating and intend to publish independent of Aserra.
  2. Any ideas you use must be original, as if I publish this game, I would not like to get slapped with copyright infringement suit for a rip-off I didn't catch.
  3. Do not model any nations or cultures entirely after existing nations and cultures in the real world. You may use aspects of any existing cultures, though, and it would be best to mix things up too.
  4. There is a need to be reasonable with cultures, abilities, and the like that are created for Aserra. I don't want nations that are the epitome of perfection, or an entirely unreasonable set of abilities that causes them to be sensationally over powered compared to others of their race.
  5. I must give approval for anything major created by other players, so until I tell you that I'm ok with that, don't automatically assume that it'll be canon.
World of Aserra
Kalesten Calendar

Post by World of Aserra » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:09 pm

Calendars & Time Keeping
As of current, we have established a calendar for Kalesten human nations that will be considered the standard. Thiskel and other places, as well as other races, may have their own calendar systems, but these will be addressed in the future when and if needed.

The Kalesten Calendar was established six-hundred and fourteen years ago when the nations of Kalesten formed a union, through which the calendar, as well as a shared common language, units of measurement, and currency were proliferated throughout the continent. Though the union eventually crumbled, the standards they set carried on into modern Kalesten society, including the calendar.

The current year for the majority of our stories is KCY (Kalesten Calendar Year) 614, having been six-hundred and fourteen years since the Kalesten Union was founded. Pre-Kalesten Calendar Years are recorded as negative numbers (e.g.; -100 KCY). The years are counted backwards, similar to how we track years BC in the modern Gregorian calendar system.

The Aserran year is four months longer than Earth’s, giving them a sixteen month calendar and an extra month every season. The calendar is based on the cycle of the planet’s largest moon, Nirya. Like Earth’s moon, Nirya has a twenty-eight day cycle. The lesser moons, Maredi and Marebi, do not affect the calendar, but their cycles are tracked. With the longer year, there are four months per season on Aserra, but still the typical spring, summer, autumn, and fall. The months of each season are named for the patron goddess of the season and differentiated numerically. For example, the months of spring are Areria I, Areria II, Areria III, and Areria IV. Each month has twenty-eight days.

There are four weeks per month, consisting of seven days. The days are named for the seven elemental gods, in birth order. The first day of the week is Zelanday (for Zelan, God of Air), followed by Mariday (for Maris, Goddess of Water), Brechday (for Brecha, Goddess of Earth), Alaeday (for Alaezo, God of Fire), Entraday (for Entra, Goddess of Life), Idraenday (for Idraen, God of Light), and Ispaday (for Ispa, Goddess of Darkness). Ispaday is considered a holy day for those who follow the Gods of Light. Religious services are held on this day, and many businesses, schools, and government offices may be closed. While Ispa is not held in high regard, the purpose of religious ceremonies amongst those who follow the Gods of Light is to pray away the darkness of the dark goddess, and do good deeds on a day ruled by her in order to subvert her influence.

Kalesten Calender Year: 614
  • Spring
    • Areria I
    • Areria II
    • Areria III
    • Areria IV
  • Summer
    • Glaeria I
    • Glaeria II
    • Glaeria III
    • Glaeria IV
  • Autumn
    • Oleiria I
    • Oleiria II
    • Oleiria III
    • Oleiria IV
  • Winter
    • Fria I
    • Fria II
    • Fria III
    • Fria IV
Last edited by J. M. Vincent on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Calendar

Post by J. M. Vincent » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Just revised the calendar post since I came up with days of the week: http://forum.aserra-rpg.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=70

Any questions, comments, corrections, suggestions, etc, are welcome in this thread.