Kiar (Halflings) (Revised)

Here's where to discuss world information. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them on this board. Many articles have a corresponding discussion thread, so if you want more information on a race or nation find the index stickied at the top of the board. Otherwise, feel free to post new topics for questions and such.
Forum rules
Rules of Development
  1. Keep in mind that this world may be published in one way or another. I encourage you not to integrate any concepts of a story or RPG world that you are creating and intend to publish independent of Aserra.
  2. Any ideas you use must be original, as if I publish this game, I would not like to get slapped with copyright infringement suit for a rip-off I didn't catch.
  3. Do not model any nations or cultures entirely after existing nations and cultures in the real world. You may use aspects of any existing cultures, though, and it would be best to mix things up too.
  4. There is a need to be reasonable with cultures, abilities, and the like that are created for Aserra. I don't want nations that are the epitome of perfection, or an entirely unreasonable set of abilities that causes them to be sensationally over powered compared to others of their race.
  5. I must give approval for anything major created by other players, so until I tell you that I'm ok with that, don't automatically assume that it'll be canon.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin
Kiar (Halflings) (Revised)

Post by J. M. Vincent » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 am

Made a change to the lifespan of the Kiar. I remembered that I wanted them to have a very short lifespan.
Zuku Ari-Ari Kika wrote:Lifespans and Reproduction
The Kiar live only around twenty years, making them the shortest lived-race in all of Adun. On average, most individuals live to be around twenty to twenty-five, but the oldest recorded age is forty-seven. Kiar children grow fast and reach reproductive maturity at the age of two, and full physical maturity at age four. They generally marry around the age of four or five and bear children usually shortly after marriage. The Kiar are strictly monogamous, neither gender loses their virginity until marriage. Premarital and extra-marital relationships are forbidden and rarely happen.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Kiar (Halflings) (Revised)

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Zuku Ari-Ari Kika wrote:Stats
The Kiar are small, but their stats are held against the standards of humans.
  • Strength: 7
  • Agility: 12
  • Dexterity: 15
  • Stamina: 6
  • Intelligence: 10
  • Wisdom: 10
  • Willpower: 10
  • Charisma: 8
  • Luck: 10
  • Physical Beauty: 10
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Kiar (Halflings) (Revised)

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:47 am

Changes made to religion and personality.
World of Adun wrote:Religion
As a peaceful, rural people, the Kiar worship the Seasonal Goddesses mainly. They pay their respects to the Elemental Gods, and a few of the third generation gods. Their appreciation for knowledge also puts them in Essan’s realm, and some Kiar make pilgrimages to Chawoven to visit the vast libraries maintained by Essan’s priests. Occasionally, they make donations to the library, but they also maintain their secrets within their own people. They rarely ask the muses for guidance, as their creative process is often good enough on its own.

Personality
Kiar are kind and good natured, a somewhat simple people without want for money or power. They prefer peace and quiet above all else. But they are fearful of many things, being so small, they are easily threatened.

For their short lifespans, they are are quick learners and can retain vast amounts of information. This was once passed down through oral tradition, training from parents, and experience, but with the advent of writing, information is passed down through books and scrolls. Most villages have a library full of public knowledge, and each home often has shelves filled with books to educate children and grandchildren. Fiction, however, is rarely appreciated by the Kiar.

They are inquisitive, quick-witted, and inventive people. Despite their readiness to learn, they are reluctant toward magic, especially sorcery, but many Kiar have an appreciation toward shamanism and witchcraft which can bring them favorable conditions for farming. Destructive magic, however, is frowned upon. As a practical agrarian culture, most of their inventiveness is turned toward making things that make life easier, such as innovative farming, building, and house-keeping tools. Kiar women are also renowned for elaborate and creative recipes that are often honed to perfect over generations. This inventiveness is what helped many Kiar find a way in the nation of Belvon, despite how different they are from the human Belvonese.