The World of Aserra

Here's where to discuss world information. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them on this board. Many articles have a corresponding discussion thread, so if you want more information on a race or nation find the index stickied at the top of the board. Otherwise, feel free to post new topics for questions and such.
Forum rules
Rules of Development
  1. Keep in mind that this world may be published in one way or another. I encourage you not to integrate any concepts of a story or RPG world that you are creating and intend to publish independent of Aserra.
  2. Any ideas you use must be original, as if I publish this game, I would not like to get slapped with copyright infringement suit for a rip-off I didn't catch.
  3. Do not model any nations or cultures entirely after existing nations and cultures in the real world. You may use aspects of any existing cultures, though, and it would be best to mix things up too.
  4. There is a need to be reasonable with cultures, abilities, and the like that are created for Aserra. I don't want nations that are the epitome of perfection, or an entirely unreasonable set of abilities that causes them to be sensationally over powered compared to others of their race.
  5. I must give approval for anything major created by other players, so until I tell you that I'm ok with that, don't automatically assume that it'll be canon.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin
World

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 pm

I have a few things to consider about the world of Adun. How many moons? How big is it? How much land, how much water? I'm not sure how to go about some of these things, so if anyone more knowledgeable could help me, that would be great.

As for moons, before I decide on using only one or two, I need to know the effects multiple satellites would have on a planet. How would that affect the passage of time? How will it affect the tides?
Shea Wolf wrote:i think a bit more land than here on earth would be good, but water still more prosperous. Maybe u should make fresh water a bit harder to come by than it is here. The planet should be about the size of earth or maybe a bit bigger, because size determines rotation and revolution around the sun, affecting seasons.
Twin satellites would cause a more dramatic tide because they would have there combined gravities if they are close to each other, now if they are opposite of each other, as in when one is on one side of the globe the other is on another, then the tides would actually reduce. The moons would have very little effect on season in the sense of time, but you may want to make a calender accordingly.
Zuku Ari-Ari Kika wrote:Well, the proximity of the moon determines the length of the day. The closer the moon is to the world, the faster it spins, making the day shorter. Our moon was closer, but it's been slowly spinning further away from us and making time pass more slowly.

Here's another thing to figure out. If you look at the Map, you'll notice the small island-continent to the left. That used to be a lot bigger. I traced over the map to work on a new one and came up with the entire continent that it used to be. It was sank during a war between the gods--the history I haven't quite worked out yet. Of course, the displacement of water with this land mass might make the oceans deeper, and some of the land on the other continents might have been underwater. So, when this land mass sank, it would suck down water with it, then create a massive tsunami, right?

This could make for some interesting developements in the world. I should also consider the effects this had on the climate as well. I wish I knew an expert in this sort of thing.
World of Aserra

The World

Post by World of Aserra » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Adun is a moderate sized planet in a single sun system called Sulan by the gods. There are seven other planets in Adun's solar system; Verar, Nysen, Adun, Seret, Enroth, Denbana, and Ler'gar. Verar, the first planet in the system, is a small, lifeless void that orbits the sun at breakneck speeds (at least, for a planet), much like our Mercury. Nysen, the second planet, is in a similar position as our Venus, but it shares more in common with Mercury and Verar as it is lifeless with hardly any atmosphere. Adun is the third planet. The fourth planet is Seret, a planet with an atmosphere that could support life, but as it is not protected by gods and positioned near the system's asteroid belt, it has suffered several cataclysmic asteroid collisions that have halted evolution at multiple points. After Seret is an asteroid belt spanning the distance between the next planet, Enroth, which is a gas giant, followed by the last two planets, Denbana and Ler'gar. Enroth is a gas giant about the size of Saturn and emits a yellow light in the night sky. Denbana is larger than Enroth and is seen as a reddish-pink star. Ver'gar is around the same size as Denbana, and much like our Neptune and Uranus, is blue.

Adun has three satellites, the largest being the moon Nirya, which has dominion over the tides of Adun's oceans, and is the basis for the world's lunar calendar. The two smaller moons, almost equal in size, are named for a pair of twins in Adun mythology. Maredi, the slightly larger moon, is assigned masculine virtues. At Maredi's fullness, his pull has an effect on the males of Adun, causing them to be more aggressive. This is generally not severe for most men, but slightly noticeable as male libidos increase. His sister, Marebi, waxes full on the opposite end of the month, exerting a similar pull on females. When Marebi is full, females often find themselves more emotional, and menstruation in humans and other races that ovulate monthly tends to coincide with the female moon.
World of Aserra

The World

Post by World of Aserra » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Adun is a moderate sized planet in a single sun system called Sulan by the gods. There are seven other planets in Adun's solar system; Verar, Nysen, Adun, Seret, Enroth, Denbana, and Ler'gar. Verar, the first planet in the system, is a small, lifeless void that orbits the sun at breakneck speeds (at least, for a planet), much like our Mercury. Nysen, the second planet, is in a similar position as our Venus, but it shares more in common with Mercury and Verar as it is lifeless with hardly any atmosphere. Adun is the third planet. The fourth planet is Seret, a planet with an atmosphere that could support life, but as it is not protected by gods and positioned near the system's asteroid belt, it has suffered several cataclysmic asteroid collisions that have halted evolution at multiple points. After Seret is an asteroid belt spanning the distance between the next planet, Enroth, which is a gas giant, followed by the last two planets, Denbana and Ler'gar. Enroth is a gas giant about the size of Saturn and emits a yellow light in the night sky. Denbana is larger than Enroth and is seen as a reddish-pink star. Ver'gar is around the same size as Denbana, and much like our Neptune and Uranus, is blue.

Adun has three satellites, the largest being the moon Nirya, which has dominion over the tides of Adun's oceans, and is the basis for the world's lunar calendar. The two smaller moons, almost equal in size, are named for a pair of twins in Adun mythology. Maredi, the slightly larger moon, is assigned masculine virtues. At Maredi's fullness, his pull has an effect on the males of Adun, causing them to be more aggressive. This is generally not severe for most men, but slightly noticeable as male libidos increase. His sister, Marebi, waxes full on the opposite end of the month, exerting a similar pull on females. When Marebi is full, females often find themselves more emotional, and menstruation in humans and other races that ovulate monthly tends to coincide with the female moon.
World of Aserra

Re: World

Post by World of Aserra » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Continents
Adun is slightly larger than Earth with four continents that are rather closely bunched together, as Adun’s plate tectonics are less active than Earth’s. The largest continent, Thiskel, is the central continent. To the west of Thiskel is the remnant of Ageond; the Forsaken Land and many island chains. To the east of Thiskel is the hook-shaped continent of Kalesten. On the north pole, situated between Thiskel and Kalesten, is Athok. Thiskel and most of Kalesten dominate the eastern hemisphere of the planet, while Ageond and the Tonult ocean occupy the western hemisphere.

Ageond was once a much larger continent that was around as long as Thiskel and Kalesten, but during the war of the gods, it became the home of the dark races that followed Ispa. To decimate the Dark Goddess’s forces, the other gods attempted to sink the entire continent, but the southernmost portion survived. There are many island chains to the north, laying out a rough outline of the continent with what used to be the continent’s coastal mountain ranges. The remaining fragment of the continent is more commonly known as the Forsaken Land now, and is permanently cloaked in dark clouds by will of the dark gods. The Forsaken Land is slightly larger than Australia.

Thiskel is now the largest continent, which is broken into two subcontinents connected by a narrow isthmus. The northern half of the continent is thickly forested, and about the size of Canada. The southern half of Thiskel is quite large and contains a large desert at it’s heart. There is a large peninsula at the bottom of the continent covered in rainforest.

Kalesten is a rather narrow continent with a hook-like shape. The subcontinent of Ertia forms the bottom of the hook and is separated by the intractable Ardir Forest and a high plateau from the rest of Kalesten. Northern Kalesten is the most heavily inhabited region, blocked off into a number of nations. Traveling southwards is a long isthmus covered in grassland that leads down to the southern part of the continent which is thick with jungle.

The arctic continent of Athok sits at the top of the world, with a peninsula that sits like a wedge in the ocean between Thiskel and Kalesten. It is solely inhabited by the Aeul’Idayn.
World of Aserra

Post by World of Aserra » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Continents
Adun is slightly larger than Earth with four continents that are rather closely bunched together, as Adun’s plate tectonics are less active than Earth’s. The largest continent, Thiskel, is the central continent. To the west of Thiskel is the remnant of Ageond; the Forsaken Land and many island chains. To the east of Thiskel is the hook-shaped continent of Kalesten. On the north pole, situated between Thiskel and Kalesten, is Athok. Thiskel and most of Kalesten dominate the eastern hemisphere of the planet, while Ageond and the Tonult ocean occupy the western hemisphere.

Ageond was once a much larger continent that was around as long as Thiskel and Kalesten, but during the war of the gods, it became the home of the dark races that followed Ispa. To decimate the Dark Goddess’s forces, the other gods attempted to sink the entire continent, but the southernmost portion survived. There are many island chains to the north, laying out a rough outline of the continent with what used to be the continent’s coastal mountain ranges. The remaining fragment of the continent is more commonly known as the Forsaken Land now, and is permanently cloaked in dark clouds by will of the dark gods. The Forsaken Land is slightly larger than Australia.

Thiskel is now the largest continent, which is broken into two subcontinents connected by a narrow isthmus. The northern half of the continent is thickly forested, and about the size of Canada. The southern half of Thiskel is quite large and contains a large desert at it’s heart. There is a large peninsula at the bottom of the continent covered in rainforest.

Kalesten is a rather narrow continent with a hook-like shape. The subcontinent of Ertia forms the bottom of the hook and is separated by the intractable Ardir Forest and a high plateau from the rest of Kalesten. Northern Kalesten is the most heavily inhabited region, blocked off into a number of nations. Traveling southwards is a long isthmus covered in grassland that leads down to the southern part of the continent which is thick with jungle.

The arctic continent of Athok sits at the top of the world, with a peninsula that sits like a wedge in the ocean between Thiskel and Kalesten. It is solely inhabited by the Aeul’Idayn.

World Maps
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Zuku Ari-Ari Kika wrote: Athok sits at the base of the world, an almost round continent that is covered with snow and ice. In the summer, bare rock is revealed on its northernmost coasts. One long mountain range arcs around the eastern coast. Its sole inhabitants are the hearty Aeul’Idayn.
I need to create a land for the Aeul'Idayn. I was considering Athok (the antarctic continent), but I think it's too remote. Instead, I'll be making Athok an arctic continent.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Alright, I found my tracing pad and maps, so I worked out a new Athok at the top of the world.

http://gallery.legendsofadun.com/displa ... hp?pos=-56

Traced the original map and slapped this in there. The northern-most reaches of Thiskel might be a little closer than what they appear on this map, but it's a little hard to draw for a round top-of of the world with a flat map to trace. XD We'll just have to get it right in the future when we can make a more professional map.

The north pole is marked there. The Aeul'Idayn capital sits right on the arctic circle. The big circles up there are the ranges of the ice sheets with the change of seasons--which might be too drastic, I don't know for sure. In the summer, the ice shrinks back to about the range of the middle circle, while in the winter it expands out along the arctic circle, and it dips down below that a bit to merge with the northern tip of Kalesten (which looks like it goes a little bit too far south, but oh well).
Mid-Boss

Post by Mid-Boss » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:21 pm

So Adun's north pole is a actual landmass, not just an ice cap? If so, it'd be rather colder up there then at our own. Also, one large globel ocean would be a prime spawning ground for storm systems. Both the eastern and western coastlands would probably be rocked by a couple of plus-sized hurricanes every summer. It might be worth considering how that could effect a culture.
Araleigh Madral - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Bastion Ulbrecht - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Cade Adamear - Profile - Gallery - Available
Rissya - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Terin L'Iloysia - Profile - Gallery - Plot
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Hmm... Interesting. Though I'm not quite sure of the size of that ocean, or if I still want to go in the direction having half the world be oceanic. I think what I might end up doing is just adding a little more sea beyond what we see on the map, and make it maybe Pacific sized.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:14 pm

I've made some changes to the initial write-up. I can't nitpick each one out, so just review it all as a whole.
World of Adun wrote:Continents

World of Aserra

Oceans

Post by World of Aserra » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 am

Oceans
Adun’s largest ocean is the Tonult, which covers much of the world’s western hemisphere. The Tonult is between the western coast of Thiskel and the eastern coast of Kalesten. It once used to lay only between Kalesten and Ageond, but when Ageond was destroyed during the War of the Gods, it sunk beneath the Tonult and joined the ocean with the sea that used to lay between Ageond and Thiskel. The Forsaken Land and remaining archipelagos that were once Ageond’s mountains are now islands in this vast ocean. Tonult’s oceanic borders are considered to be the arctic and antarctic circles, directly south from the southernmost point of the Forsaken Land, north of the narrowest point between the Forsaken Land and Thiskel, and directly south from the southernmost point of Kalesten.

The arctic ocean is Lertura, which is considered to be contained within the arctic circle. The continent of Athok and the arctic ice cap are contained within, and it borders the northern most reaches of Thiskel and Kalesten.

The antarctic ocean is called the Sea of Kaltur. There is no land here, but there an ice cap, though it is smaller than the northern ice cap. For the most part, Kaltur is untouched by any of the races. Ships skirt the outer edges to circle around the southern cape of Thiskel, and fishing vessels from the Forsaken Land sometimes follow fish to the outer edges of the sea, but the ice flows are a major deterrent from going too far in.

The Riath Sea lays between Thiskel and Kalesten, and is little more than a broad strait in some places, making travel between the two continents quite easy. The Riath’s borders are considered to be the arctic and antarctic circles, then directly east from the southernmost point of Thiskel to west of the southernmost point of Kalesten.

The Sea of Otore is considered the remnant of the strait that once ran between Thiskel and Ageond. It now only lies between the Forsaken Land and southern Thiskel, as the northern region joined the Tonult after the sinking of Ageond. Otore’s borders are considered to be the narrowest point between the Forsaken Land and Thiskel, from the southernmost point of the Forsaken Land eastward to the southernmost point of Thiskel westwards, and the southern border is the antarctic circle.

The Kalesten Sea is the region of sea within the hook-shaped northern continent of Kalesten and its sub-continent of Ertia. Its oceanic border is considered to be a direct line from the southernmost point of Ertia to the tip of the eastern peninsula of southern Kalesten.

Gulf of Athere is the inlet that lays between northern and southern Thiskel. Its borders with the Riath are considered to be a line diagonally northwest of the tip of the northernmost peninsula of southern Thiskel to the closest coastline of northern Thiskel.
World of Aserra

Oceans

Post by World of Aserra » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:45 am

Oceans
Adun’s largest ocean is the Tonult, which covers much of the world’s western hemisphere. The Tonult is between the western coast of Thiskel and the eastern coast of Kalesten. It once used to lay only between Kalesten and Ageond, but when Ageond was destroyed during the War of the Gods, it sunk beneath the Tonult and joined the ocean with the sea that used to lay between Ageond and Thiskel. The Forsaken Land and remaining archipelagos that were once Ageond’s mountains are now islands in this vast ocean. Tonult’s oceanic borders are considered to be the arctic and antarctic circles, directly south from the southernmost point of the Forsaken Land, north of the narrowest point between the Forsaken Land and Thiskel, and directly south from the southernmost point of Kalesten.

The arctic ocean is Lertura, which is considered to be contained within the arctic circle. The continent of Athok and the arctic ice cap are contained within, and it borders the northern most reaches of Thiskel and Kalesten.

The antarctic ocean is called the Sea of Kaltur. There is no land here, but there an ice cap, though it is smaller than the northern ice cap. For the most part, Kaltur is untouched by any of the races. Ships skirt the outer edges to circle around the southern cape of Thiskel, and fishing vessels from the Forsaken Land sometimes follow fish to the outer edges of the sea, but the ice flows are a major deterrent from going too far in.

The Riath Sea lays between Thiskel and Kalesten, and is little more than a broad strait in some places, making travel between the two continents quite easy. The Riath’s borders are considered to be the arctic and antarctic circles, then directly east from the southernmost point of Thiskel to west of the southernmost point of Kalesten.

The Sea of Otore is considered the remnant of the strait that once ran between Thiskel and Ageond. It now only lies between the Forsaken Land and southern Thiskel, as the northern region joined the Tonult after the sinking of Ageond. Otore’s borders are considered to be the narrowest point between the Forsaken Land and Thiskel, from the southernmost point of the Forsaken Land eastward to the southernmost point of Thiskel westwards, and the southern border is the antarctic circle.

The Kalesten Sea is the region of sea within the hook-shaped northern continent of Kalesten and its sub-continent of Ertia. Its oceanic border is considered to be a direct line from the southernmost point of Ertia to the tip of the eastern peninsula of southern Kalesten.

Gulf of Athere is the inlet that lays between northern and southern Thiskel. Its borders with the Riath are considered to be a line diagonally northwest of the tip of the northernmost peninsula of southern Thiskel to the closest coastline of northern Thiskel.
World of Aserra

The World of Aserra

Post by World of Aserra » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:14 am

Sulan Solar System
Aserra is a moderately sized planet in a single sun system known as Sulan. There are seven planets in the Sulan solar system; Verar, Nysen, Aserra, Seret, Enroth, Denbana, and Ler’gar, from the sun outward, respectively. The Sulan system closely mimics our Sol system with the first two planets being too hot and close to the sun to allow for life, with the Earth-like Aserra being the third, and potential life-supporting world of Seret being in the same position as Mars. Following Seret, much like Mars, are a series of gas giants—Enroth, Denbana, and Ler’gar.

Verar, the first planet in the system is a small, lifeless rock that darts around the star at a close orbit, much like our Mercury. At certain times of the year, it can be spotted crossing Aserra’s skies as a yellow star.

Nysen, the second planet, is in a similar position as our Venus. It is a bit larger than Verar, bit still much smaller than Aserra. Lacking a substantial atmosphere, it is rather similar to Verar in environment, if only slightly cooler. It appears as a yellow star across Aserra’s skies at certain times of the year.

Seret, the fourth planet, following Aserra at third, takes the same place as Mars, but does support life. Unfortunately, it is constantly pummeled by asteroids which has so far stunted the evolution of life on the planet. It appears as a pale green star in Aserra’s sky at certain times of the year. Beyond Seret is an asteroid belt, though it is this belt, the orbit of Seret, as well as Aserra’s three moons that protect the planet from many stellar threats.

Enroth is the fifth planet, and one of the three gas giants in the system. Around the same size as Saturn, and is yellow-orange in color. The sixth planet, Denbana, is larger than Enroth, and appears reddish-pink. Ler’gar, the seventh planet, is around the same size as Denbana and is blue.
World of Aserra

The World of Aserra: Satellites

Satellites
Aserra has three satellites, the largest being the moon Nirya, which has dominion over the tides of Aserra’s oceans and is the basis for lunar calendars. Nirya is a large, white, pock-marked moon, much like our own. The two smaller moons, almost equals in size, have dominion over the sexes of Aserra.

Maredi, much smaller than Nirya, but slightly larger than his sister, Marebi, is made of dark, glass-like rock appears gray in the night sky and is marked by pale craters. He is assigned masculine traits, and at his fullest, has a pull on the males of Aserra. When Maredi waxes, men may feel slightly more aggressive than normal, either being quicker to fight or seek female company. Considering that Maredi waxes opposite of Marebi, during which time females often menstruate, many a child is conceived during Maredi’s full period.

Marebi, the smallest of the three moons (being just slightly smaller than Maredi), is rich in iron, giving it a rust color. Assigned female traits, at her fullest, Marebi pulls on the females of Aserra. Menstruation in fertile females tends to coincide with Marebi’s rising.
Last edited by J. M. Vincent on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited wording on Marebi
World of Aserra

The World of Aserra; Continents

Continents
Aserra is slightly larger than Earth, with four continents that are rather closely bunched together, as Aserra’s plate tectonics are less active than those here on Earth. The largest continent is Thiskel, central to the others. To the southwest of Thiskel is the remnant of Ageond—now commonly referred to as the Forsaken Land—and many island chains that are left of the continents mountain ranges all along the west of Thiskel. To the east of Thiskel is the hook-shaped continent of Kalesten. Aserra’s arctic is occupied by the continent of Athok, while the antarctic is home to only a massive icecap. Kalesten, most of Thiskel, and the more habitable regions of Athok dominate the eastern hemisphere of the planet, while Ageond, the rest of Thiskel, and the Tonult ocean fill the western hemisphere.

Ageond was once a much larger continent, but it also held the highest population of Danaij, therefore the greatest influence of the Goddess of Darkness, Ispa, and her children. During the War of the Gods, Ispa drew upon the population of Ageond to create an army to slaughter the races belonging to her siblings, the other six Elemental Gods. So, to protect their peoples and decimate her forces, the other gods united to sink Ageond. They succeeded in sinking most of the continent, but the southern-most portion survived the cataclysm, and the gods let it be. Sea levels around the world dropped to fill the new void, and the climate warmed significantly from the volcanic activity, melting the ice caps. This event caused great upheaval in Aserra, but with the protection of their gods, the peoples of Aserra survived to see the world regain balance.

The remaining fragment of the continent is known as the Forsaken Land today, and is permanently cloaked in dark clouds by the will of Ispa. To the north, former mountain tops remained, later becoming archipelagos that provide a rough outline of the continent that used to exist. The Forsaken Land is around the same size as Australia.

Thiskel is now the largest continent, which is broken into two sub-continents connected by a small isthmus. The northern half of the continent ranges from arctic to temperate, and is around the same size as North America. The southern half of Thiskel is quite large and broad, mostly occupied by the massive Great Desert. A large peninsula to the south is covered by tropical rainforests.

Kalesten is a rather narrow continent with a hook-like shape. The sub-continent of Ertia forms the bottom of the hook and is kept separate of the rest of northern Kalesten by the high Ertian plateau and intractable Ardir Forest. Northern Kalesten is the top of the hook, a continent of temperate forest and prairie. Southwards, a long isthmus leads down to the southern part of the continent which is thick with jungle.

The arctic continent of Athok is at the top of the world, with a peninsula which sits like a wedge in the ocean between Thiskel and Kalesten. It is solely inhabited by the Aeul’Idayn.
World of Aserra

The World of Aserra: Oceans

Post by World of Aserra » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:15 am

Oceans
Aserra’s largest ocean is the Tonult, which covers much of the world’s western hemisphere. The Tonult is between the western coast of Thiskel and the eastern coast of Kalesten. It once used to lay only between Kalesten and Ageond, but when Ageond was destroyed during the War of the Gods, it sunk beneath the Tonult and joined the ocean with the sea that used to lay between Ageond and Thiskel. The Forsaken Land and remaining archipelagos that were once Ageond’s mountains are now islands in this vast ocean. Tonult’s oceanic borders are considered to be the arctic and antarctic circles, directly south from the southernmost point of the Forsaken Land, north of the narrowest point between the Forsaken Land and Thiskel, and directly south from the southernmost point of Kalesten. Due to the size of the Tonult, it spawns ferocious hurricanes and tropical storms that plague the islands and coasts of Kalesten and Thiskel.

World of Aserra

The World of Aserra: Ley System

Post by World of Aserra » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 am

Ley System
Flowing throughout Aserra is an invisible energy known as mana. The life-force of the planet, mana was stockpiled from the universal supply within the world during its creation. Mana fuels the living things of the world, nurturing flora and fauna. Souls of all living things are comprised of mana. The energy is delivered through leypoints and leylines, which act like a circulatory system for the entire planet.

Leypoints are mana springs; points at which the energy pours up from within the planet, then trickles out through leylines that spider across the globe. Aserra has ten leypoints and approximately 120 leylines. The age and size of a world impacts the amount of lines and points. New worlds have an abundance, but over time they “dry up”, though generally leylines only number in the low hundreds and below. Leypoints are crucial to the life of a planet, and they can be blocked which can cause the planet to whither over time. Blocked leypoints can be restored, but restoration requires extreme measures, even as extreme as destroying an entire continent which, as Aserra is familiar with, carries drastic consequences for those living on the planet.

Aserra has ten leypoints scattered across the world, corresponding with the elements of Air, Water, Earth, and Fire. Leylines are assigned the elements of Life, Light, and Darkness, and each kind conjuncture only at certain leypoints.
  • Air leypoints can be the point of conjuncture for Life, Light, and Darkness leylines.
  • Water leypoints are the conjuncture for only Life and Light leylines.
  • Earth leypoints are the conjuncture for only Life and Darkness leylines.
  • Fire leypoints are the conjuncture for only Light and Darkness leylines.
There are two Air, three Water, two Earth, and three Fire leypoints on Aserra.
  • One Air leypoint is on the continent of Thiskel, in the northern region of the Ideil Mountain Range. The other is on the continent of Kalesten, in the Gayntos Mountain Range, in the southern borders of the nation of Emkal.
  • The Water leypoints are mostly in bodies of water. The first Water leypoint is in an undersea mountain range in the southwestern tropics of the Tonult Ocean. The second is in the inland Kalesten Sea. The third is near the antarctic circle where the Riath Strait meets the Sea of Kaltur.
  • The first Earth leypoint is in the Mordac Mountain Range of the Thiskelian isthmus that connects northern and southern Thiskel. The second Earth leypoint is in the Ormiss Mountain Range of the Forsaken Land.
  • The first of the Fire leypoints was located in the heart of Ageond, but became a wellspring after the sinking of the continent. The second Fire leypoint is in the volcanic Ohoni island chain in the Tonult Ocean, nearer to Kalesten than the remnants of Ageond. The third is located in the Great Desert of Thiskel.
Leylines and points encourage life and attract civilization. Many cities, villages, and temples are built on leylines, as living in such a location leaves one feeling invigorated. Sorcerers also flock to leylines and points, as these locations offer them the greatest supply of the source of the magic; mana. Sorcerers of Emkal have learned to refine mana from their leypoint into crystals called manastones, which allow sorcerers to burn mana without stealing it from the life around them. Aside from the draw to humans and other races, leylines are often home to flourishing plant and animal life.

Wellspring
The destruction of the continent of Ageond not only blocked a Fire leypoint, it also created a wellspring; a chaotic mess of energy that forms a quadrangle in the ocean between the north of the Forsaken Land and the archipelagos that are the remnants of Ageond’s mountain ranges. The effects of the quadrangle are unpredictable, and sailors, Mariel, and Marfod avoid it at all costs as many individuals have just disappeared without a trace when entering the quadrangle.
World of Aserra

The World of Aserra: Planes

Post by World of Aserra » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14 pm

There is more to Aserra that what can be seen. Gods, angels, demons, and spirits of all kinds exist on higher and lower planes than what is tangible on Aserra itself. While these entities can sometimes cross planes and influence Aserra, they still live in a separate layer of reality. The elements and materials that make up the world of Aserra cannot transfer planes, but energy can.

Prime Material Plane
The central plane of existence, the tangible world upon which the peoples of Aserra reside. The Gods and other higher beings are intangible in this plane as they cannot cross their physical bodies into the Prime Material plane. However, they can overcome this by either possessing spirit mediums or clerics, but most effectively, and for long term purposes, they can create bodies from the elements of the Prime Material plane that will allow them to walk amongst the Aserrans.

Astral Plane
The Astral Plane is a sub-plane which connects the other planes and allows travel between them. Nothing lives here, but many beings may pass through. Aserrans may travel through the Astral Plane by creating a psychic projection of themselves. This happens for many people, often when sleeping, though few remember their astral adventures. Individuals with a trained mind may consciously project themselves onto this plane and travel to any place they want to go. The Astral Plane appears as a ghostly copy of the real world, or a veil over the world, and paths that lead to other places can be found by those who seek them.

Ethereal Plane
The Ethereal Plane is a parallel plane to Aserra where the souls of the departed live alongside their human counterparts. The aether is where all those who disbelieve in an afterlife, or those who are too worldly bound by worries, grief, or anger to move on peaceably go. If the resentments or binding chains of the dead are too great, they can return to Aserra in the form of undead, a phenomena that appears all too readily when the dead on battlefields is overwhelming. Much like the Astral plane, the Ethereal plane is like a veil over the Prime Material Plane, only much thinner. Spirits can affect the material plane by moving objects or people if they exert enough energy.

Zephaer, City of the Gods
Zephaer is the home of the gods, the plane of Light, and the seat of divine power—an equivalent of “Heaven”. Zephaer is a massive mountain of a city, rising up in seven enormous terraced levels out of a sea of clouds. The city lushly gardened in all manner of vibrant and beautiful flora. Zephaer’s top level is a marble palace that is home to the gods and angels. The second level serves as a “plane of light”, or a home for the light elementals, and afterlife for Idayn souls between incarnations. The second level appears to be a moat of golden light, warm and inviting.

The third through seventh levels are places of rest for the souls of humans and other races as they await reincarnation. Souls closest to reincarnation are at the third level, while the newest arrivals inhabit the seventh. Of course, nearly all souls must first pass through Malbolge for Karmic balance before they can proceed to Zephaer to be prepared for reincarnation.

Seven Infernal Chambers of Malbolge
Mimicking Zephaer, as it serves a purpose for all souls, like the Divine City, Malbolge is a seven-leveled pit of despair that is home to Ispa and her children. Like an inverse of Zephaer, the first level where the dark gods and higher demons reside is the bottom of the pit. The second level of Malbolge, a ring one level above the pit, is a mass of absolute darkness, serving as a “plane of darkness” where Shades reside, and where Danaij souls go to await reincarnation.

The third through seventh layers are where souls of humans and other races are punished for Karmic debt. These souls toil in labor and punishment until their Karma is balanced, at which point they can move up to Zephaer to await reincarnation. The seventh level is home to those with the least negative Karma; either those who have died with slightly negative Karma, or those who have nearly finished their toil. These individuals are the next in line to move onto Zephaer. Those from the sixth level down have higher debts to be repaid, and those at the third level are the most vile, accursed souls of men that have the greatest amounts of negative Karma.

Maze of Dreams
The Maze of Dreams is Entra’s realm, the world of the many races of Fae, and the entrance to the world of dreams. Elves, faeries, nymphs, satyrs, fauns, pixies, and many other kinds of Fae call the Maze home. The Maze of Dreams is a combination of a lush temperate garden and forest. As its name suggests, it is easy to get lost in. Paths through the gardens and forests make a suitable maze, and visitors risk being led off course by any trickster Fae that find them unworthy of their realm.

Aserra’s dreamworld—a loose ‘realm’ in which the dreams of mortals can be reached—is protected by the Maze. Luma, a daughter of Entra, oversees the protection of the portals to the dreams to keep mischievous spirits and Dreamwalkers from intruding on the dreams of others.

Whispering Heavens of D’neiw
The elemental plane of Air, the element ruled over by Zelan. The God of Air calls this realm home, as do the Sylph spirits. This is also the interim afterlife for Zaedyn. The Heavens appear to be the tops of cloud-covered mountains, with clear blue sky and white, fluffy clouds. Zelan’s modest marble palace sits atop a mountain, wrapped in hazy wisps of clouds.

Deep Ocean of Welis
The elemental plane of Water, the element ruled over by Maris. The Goddess of Water lives here, as well as Undine and other spirits associated with water (such as Nereid and Naiad Nymphs). This is also the interim afterlife for Mariel and Marfod. Welis is a realm of mostly ocean, with the exception of one lush island upon which’s rocky shores Maris’ palace sits. The island has a deep lake at its heart and is covered in streams and rivers that flow into the vast ocean to provide a comfortable place for water spirits that prefer fresh water.

Rock Kingdom of Enos
The elemental plane of Earth, the element ruled over by Brecha. Home to the Earth Goddess and Gnome, the Earth elementals, it is the interim afterlife for Brech’mar souls. Enos is a mostly a subterranean realm, though well-lit by skylights in the ceiling. Fertile gardens flourish under the skylights and the realm is adorned with veins of precious metals and crystals left to grow on their own. Brecha lives in a stone fortress at the heart of the realm.

Burning Mountains of Magnal
The elemental plane of Fire, the element ruled over by Alaezo. Alaezo inhabits this realm alongside Salamander spirits, the elemental spirits of Fire. Magnal is the interim afterlife for Asath. Magnal is seen as a ring of eternally erupting volcanoes sending sloughs of lava down their sides to form a lake in between them. At the center of the lake, a single island stands with the obsidian tower that Alaezo calls home.