Athok

Here's where to discuss world information. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them on this board. Many articles have a corresponding discussion thread, so if you want more information on a race or nation find the index stickied at the top of the board. Otherwise, feel free to post new topics for questions and such.
Forum rules
Rules of Development
  1. Keep in mind that this world may be published in one way or another. I encourage you not to integrate any concepts of a story or RPG world that you are creating and intend to publish independent of Aserra.
  2. Any ideas you use must be original, as if I publish this game, I would not like to get slapped with copyright infringement suit for a rip-off I didn't catch.
  3. Do not model any nations or cultures entirely after existing nations and cultures in the real world. You may use aspects of any existing cultures, though, and it would be best to mix things up too.
  4. There is a need to be reasonable with cultures, abilities, and the like that are created for Aserra. I don't want nations that are the epitome of perfection, or an entirely unreasonable set of abilities that causes them to be sensationally over powered compared to others of their race.
  5. I must give approval for anything major created by other players, so until I tell you that I'm ok with that, don't automatically assume that it'll be canon.
World of Aserra
Athok

Post by World of Aserra » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Athok
Pronounced: a-THOK

Situated near the top of the world, Athok is a frozen wasteland, for the most part, covered in ice sheets. The north pole of Adun lays just a few miles off the northern shore of Athok, though it is constantly covered in ice. Most of the continent sits above the arctic circle, aside from a few hundred miles of the southernmost peninsula. Athok is situated to the northeast of Thiskel and northwest of Kalesten, and could be easily reached in a short sea voyage in the summer. However, the arctic ice sheets extend over the entirety of the continent and its surrounding seas (even so far as the northernmost reaches of Thiskel and Kalesten) in the winter. In especially cold winters, it is possible to cross the ice from the Kaius Mountains in Kalesten to Athok. In the summer, the ice retreats inland to Athok, exposing bare shore and tundra in the peninsula.

Athok has two mountain ranges. On the east coast are the Undryn Mountains, and on the west, the shorter range of Adril Mountains. Much of central Athok is covered by a massive glacier. When the summer brings thaws, glacial water tends to follow into exposed riverbeds on the peninsular tundra.

The Aeul’Idayn are the only race to make a home on this continent, and their survival without migration can be mainly attributed to their gifts granted from Fria, the Goddess of Winter. They have several villages scattered along the southern peninsula’s coasts, but the majority of their population lives in a glorious city of ice at the edge of the glacier, high in the southern reaches of the Undryn Mountains. Their city, Druill, is a fortress shaped from ice, both sturdy and artistic in its design. Druill has been built upon for thousands of years, spreading and towering higher and higher over the original foundation laid down by the Aeul’Idayn after their pact with Fria.