Magic: Important Announcement, read or get kicked hard

Here's where to discuss world information. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them on this board. Many articles have a corresponding discussion thread, so if you want more information on a race or nation find the index stickied at the top of the board. Otherwise, feel free to post new topics for questions and such.
Forum rules
Rules of Development
  1. Keep in mind that this world may be published in one way or another. I encourage you not to integrate any concepts of a story or RPG world that you are creating and intend to publish independent of Aserra.
  2. Any ideas you use must be original, as if I publish this game, I would not like to get slapped with copyright infringement suit for a rip-off I didn't catch.
  3. Do not model any nations or cultures entirely after existing nations and cultures in the real world. You may use aspects of any existing cultures, though, and it would be best to mix things up too.
  4. There is a need to be reasonable with cultures, abilities, and the like that are created for Aserra. I don't want nations that are the epitome of perfection, or an entirely unreasonable set of abilities that causes them to be sensationally over powered compared to others of their race.
  5. I must give approval for anything major created by other players, so until I tell you that I'm ok with that, don't automatically assume that it'll be canon.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin
Discussion for Elementalism

Post by J. M. Vincent » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Any questions, comments, or corrections regarding the Elementalism magic system should be posted here.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Discussion of Sorcery

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Any questions, comments, or corrections regarding the Sorcery magic system should be posted here.
World of Aserra

Curses

Post by World of Aserra » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Curses are a dangerous form of magic which can be used by anyone, but should not be wantonly tampered with. The most important rule to remember with curses is the three-fold rule; the curse will come back to the curser three times as powerful as to the one being cursed. Due to this, curses are not something that is readily taught, and in fact, often strongly discouraged. However, high level priests following the gods of darkness carefully craft curses so that the rebounding curse is focused on an effigy of the caster, rather than the caster himself.

There are three families of curses;
  1. Familial curses, or blood curses, which follow down a family line until a wrong is righted.
  2. Diabolic curses which affect regions, objects, and the like.
  3. Spite curses which are focused on a single person. These are the most common.
Curses cannot be countered or lifted by blessings, they must either run their course, or be exorcised through ritual.

Do not write out any spoke curses in character. Whether or not you believe in this sort of thing, they are not something to be trifled with in fantasy or real life.
Astrid Starwind

Re: Sorcery

Post by Astrid Starwind » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 am

So...is there are schools in Emkal to teach and develop these sorcerers? I had this idea, another one from Masca was that the sorcerers had to help those who can not help them selves no matter what. That was the price they had to pay for using magic. They also had to defend other 'weaker' races against other stronger races.

I think these sorcerers can have a choice in joining the schools on terms that they help the society's weakst in rightful way. Maybe even a set of rules saying that one can not make money. gems etc to make anyone instantly rich, One can not start a fight without being attacked first etc. Those who do not enrol into these schools can learn from masters but they are rare and generally do not take in apprentices. If they have abused the code of conduct for sorcerers...well lets say they will be dealt with.

that's my two cents worth.

oh yeah what about seer abilities? will that still be considered natural ability?
Aramiya Kamiyashwa - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:40 am

As you know, I was also crafting out my ideals for the system. And you landed fairly close with sorcery. Some suggested additions that you can edit, use, or not use:

The Philosophy of Sorcery: As a technique-driven art, sorcery is very arguably a high form of magic in that its workings are more nuanced than others. In simple terms, sorcery is the transformation of mana to a will. It is not a request that a sorcerer makes, but an order crafted in the language of mana itself. Sorcery is often attributed to being a science in that one produces the same result every time it is performed the same. Sorcerers study it like one might study math. Memorization of the language is key, as is the variety of variables that make up each act. In simple spells, only a few things need to be taken into account, but as spells become more complex, more and more must be handled. And, most importantly, it can backfire, like any scientific experiment. Sorcerers trying to manipulate forces too great for their knowledge or technique can find their spells collapsing in upon themselves, which can be deadly to the caster, or, in some cases, leave them permanently damaged or altered by the unrestrained, chaotic, and unstable energies present.

Some other notes:

1) I don't particularly like the idea of applying a moral judgment to them (ie. the goal of a sorcerer is to be like a god). Its the magic system of the entire human race. Every human magician in Adun is like that?

2) So far, it seems as though sorcery is a heavily war-related magic, which is odd considering how knowledge-based it is. The first two "Schools" are preparing a mage for a fight, but the style of magic we are working with here is a very delicate process with infinite possibilities. I think we are pidgeon-holing sorcery in the one way that we don't want to-- limiting the direction and the goals for using sorcery. Its an art made to do anything, so I think we should treat it that way. Instead of the four schools, I suggest subjects of study, kind of like how D&D works their mages. They have schools of alteration, illusion, divination, aberration, ect. Normally I don't like to draw from that game, but in this scenario, it makes sense. I think combat should be one element of a much larger form of education. For a human city sitting along a leyline or on a leypoint (or some other source of energy), sorcery should be doing far more than simply fighting off foes. It should be serving the state and the people for whatever the hell they want. The rich should be paying minor sorcerers to enchant their bathtubs for eternally warm water, or whatever.

3) I'd like to see some consequences for the forces people are using. In the Shannara series (once you get far enough into it), you learn that all humans who use magic can become corrupt. The more you use magic, the more you become corrupt and your biggest weaknesses take form in your body. Sorcery is an unnatural act and, as such, I think there should be some physical consequences for individuals who use it too much. This is sort of something I've been trying to push on mages of all types in my work-- equal consequences for massive powers.

I may have more later, but this is what has come out in my groggy shape.
[Nameless] - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Alera Tai’var - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Cael - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Desmond “Rory” D’Angelline - Profile - Gallery - Available
Alera Tai'var

Discussion for Elemental Magic

Post by Alera Tai'var » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:45 am

Question: While this magic is their natural given right, is it possible for others to learn some of these practices, even rudimentarily so? For example, shamanism was a strictly elven (centaur/grassrunner too) practice, but we still had a provision for a human who managed to become attuned to the spirit world and thus could interact. I kind of see this similarly. Do you?
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:52 am

Alera Tai'var wrote:1) I don't particularly like the idea of applying a moral judgment to them (ie. the goal of a sorcerer is to be like a god). Its the magic system of the entire human race. Every human magician in Adun is like that?
It's not the only magic system humans have, I'd just like to point that out. I'll have a response to the other stuff later.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Elemental Magic

Post by J. M. Vincent » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:56 am

The thing is with this magic is that it comes from the fact that the souls of these races are elemental spirits. It can't just be learned, it's a natural ability that they were born with.
Mana Apparatus
Master of Magic

Post by Mana Apparatus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:12 pm

1) It's not a moral judgement thing. Sorcery is the key to making those without the gift of being able to feel and touch the spiritual world able to touch and feel the world. By manipulating mana, the lifeforce of the planet, they are treading on the territory of that which they wish to become- the gods. With arcane knowledge comes arrogance, with arrogance comes the thought of comparing one's self with those who are higher than they. What is the highest form of lifeform? Gods. Not every human magician is a sorcerer.

2) Read the races part. Leypoints are highly covetted due to their emense spiritual power. War magic is needed to attempt to TAKE those points, and keep them under their control. Due to there being other forms of magic that are available to humans, the idea was not to encrouch upon the other magical systems too much and keep it nice and simple. By limiting the direction and goals for sorcery, we give it a very defined look. There will always be rebels, you see, but the system set thusly shows what those few kids would be forced to learn in their studies of magic. Every sorcerer worth their lick wouldn't touch things like illusion, or divination (since divination is actually part of the seer's gift and that's one domain that can't be included), or alteration (which is essentially drawing on one's soul energy to shift one's body into a different form, or someone else's soul energy to shift into a different form, which will be covered under a different magical apptitude). The next thing that I'd like to bring up is the arrogance issue. If someone asked a sorcerer to enchant a bathtub to produce eternally warm water, regardless of the sum of money, the sorcerer would fry them. The definition of arcane comes from the latin "arcanus" which means secret. Sorcerers wouldn't flaunt their gift to the masses to get payment. It would be a slap to the face for anyone truly on the path of a sorcerer. Such an insult would not go without repercussions, dire repercussions.

3) Consequences for using mana are already in place. The more you use the more you damage the area around you. If you were in, let's say, a desert, and you had no mana stones but you were going to be using sorcery to say (I have no idea) create water to drink for you and your companions, you'd sip from yourself and you'd sip from one of your friends. Not all humans have mana reserves. So it would be, in essence, eating their life. How can you create water if you've only got attack and ward magic? Easy enough to explain: first you'd create a ward to make a bowl-like surface. Then you'd cast a water spell at the bowl itself. The stronger ward would hold up and the water (created from drawing mana) would thusly be collected in the bowl. It takes a little bit of ingenuity on the part of the sorcerer to be able to make spell combinations that would work to their advantage. Just because you have a sword and shield doesn't mean that all you're good for is attacking and defending. Returning to the topic at hand, the consequences of using mana magic is apparant. It affects flora and fauna, as both are part of the planet. That also includes people.
Agathea Sachs - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Alm - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Maro Isunuri - Profile - Gallery - Plot
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Discussion for Psychic Abilities

Post by J. M. Vincent » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:38 pm

If you have questions or comments on psychic abilities, please discuss in this thread.
Astrid Starwind

Discussion for Psychic Abilities

Post by Astrid Starwind » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:54 pm

I was wondering if the way seer abilities was available in EKD is relevent here in Aserra. I will review if it's allowed and change according however mana equivalent is used by human sorcerer, mage etc.
If the seer ability became genetic dependent...it may die out eventually over few hundred years. I would say unlike the EKD where seer ability was given by either by non human background or through exclusive pact...it should be a little bit more available to more human families through same sort of method. If a group of mages ages ago formed a pact through a lifetime of study and this has formed a society of seers. When it comes to children wise.. long as one of the parents has the ability to see it should be up to gods to decide which of children gets the ability to see. Even among the families in the seer society, there is various ability lvls at different areas of the seer ability. Each family have spread through out different countries and continents and also the local traditions have influenced the ability as well. Even if they have changed and spread through out the world, they still honour the ancient gathering of some sort to discuss and honour the gods and their ancestor who started this ability. Though because the nature of the way who gets to become a seer among the children, a lot of political play was rife among the family members who has the ability and those who don't. Well that's all I could think of for now...well the ideas a little out of order...but will write up my proposal for this seer ability in more readable format.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Ability: Precognition

Post by J. M. Vincent » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Astrid Starwind wrote:I was wondering if the way seer abilities was available in EKD is relevent here in Adun. I will review if it's allowed and change according however mana equivalent is used by human sorcerer, mage etc.
If the seer ability became genetic dependent...it may die out eventually over few hundred years. I would say unlike the EKD where seer ability was given by either by non human background or through exclusive pact...it should be a little bit more available to more human families through same sort of method. If a group of mages ages ago formed a pact through a lifetime of study and this has formed a society of seers. When it comes to children wise.. long as one of the parents has the ability to see it should be up to gods to decide which of children gets the ability to see. Even among the families in the seer society, there is various ability lvls at different areas of the seer ability. Each family have spread through out different countries and continents and also the local traditions have influenced the ability as well. Even if they have changed and spread through out the world, they still honour the ancient gathering of some sort to discuss and honour the gods and their ancestor who started this ability. Though because the nature of the way who gets to become a seer among the children, a lot of political play was rife among the family members who has the ability and those who don't. Well that's all I could think of for now...well the ideas a little out of order...but will write up my proposal for this seer ability in more readable format.
I have my own ideas about how precognition will work, I just need to get all the information together and expand on it. It will not be an ability that easily dies out, however. ;)
Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:28 am

I dunno. I very much disagree that your choice in magic system denotes the type of person you are. I can easily see sorcery being used for better things than attaining god-status or war. A magic system with limitless choices means that each person is capable of using it differently. Its THEIR choice. Not everyone wants to be a god.

The first character for this place I intended to make upon realizing how sorcery was going to work is a character who's life goals are to minimalize her effects on the world by employing enchantments and methods to magnify mana she already has, as opposed to stealing it from everywhere else. And do I think she fits the world? Yes.

1) It really is a judgment thing, because it basically says that sorcerers are all power hungry people seeking to steal from the world everything they want and become all powerful. And no, not every human magician is a sorcerer, but it is the magic system that is accredited to humans. I think that this view is one that can be held by many people, especially elementalists, about sorcery, but to try and objectively explain the system in this way is unfair because it presumes the goals of the individual. Characters can use sorcery to the benefit of the world if they were dedicated to it.

2) Again, you are assuming that all mages are going to be essentially the same and I think that it is a dangerous assumption. There is a huge amount of variety in the world and mages worth their lick may find value in illusionism, alteration, or other forms of magic if they are in a scenario where that might be useful or if their character would suggest an interest in them. I say let the characters decide how they desire to use their magic. Set the societal norms however you like, but make it clear that there is more to sorcery than warding, attack magic, summoning, and necromancy.

And not every mage has to be arrogant. Why is the concept of a humble mage impossible? I'm missing the part of memorizing spell language and casting a shield ward that requires a self-serving nature and the certainty that you are the best thing since the sword. This is again attributing characteristics to a system that may not necessarily be there. I think this comes to the root of my problem with how we are perceiving sorcery in this case. Is there not a single group of human beings who can subscribe to the concept of a diverse, possibly even pacifist sorcery? Or one that serves others before oneself? Or can be seen as one person seeking to do nothing more than make a living through whatever knowledge they can garner outside of a school, as they may not have the money to afford it?

Maybe this is a difficult concept to put out and maybe no one else will buy it, but I think the philosophy of a "good magic" and a "bad magic" is bollocks. Everything has its costs, but it isn't the system that is good or bad. Its the person who makes a good or bad choice. A person can be power-hungry and use other forms of power to get there, but we don't call the system one for arrogant, greedy, violent people. Perhaps it is predominantly used by power-hungry individuals, but then you say its predominantly used by power-hungry individuals, not that all sorcerers want to be gods.

3) I was talking long-term consequences for use, not short term. That stuff recovers, but I'm thinking how it affects the mind and body over the long run. Like years of use. How mana flowing through one's body might possibly alter appearance or mindset. It may not. It was just a thought.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:48 am

Chris, it sounds like you barely paid attention to what Rory said. >.<

This is not the candy coated sorcery of D&D and Lodoss and countless other RPs. This is the sorcery of real myths and legends where sorcerers were to be feared.

There are a myriad of other magic systems in the works which could better suit what you're looking for in some areas (http://www.legendsofadun.com/forum/view ... ?f=20&t=88) and most utilize soul energy instead of mana.

Now, as Rory said, there are rebels to this rule, and in the nation of Emkal there are humans working together with Dra'nafod who are trying to create ways of using sorcery that have a far less drastic impact on the world. Aside from utilizing manastones and liquefied mana, their area of study also includes learning other forms of magic. What they're trying to do is create a viable solution to using mana.

However, at the core of it, the use of mana is the territory of the gods. Those who use it, no matter their goals, they are trespassing into that territory. There are some groups and individuals that might not want to be godlike, but giving such awesome power to the majority will corrupt them in one way or another.

Also, whoever said that wanting to become a god was good or evil?
Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:57 pm

The piece that I was missing in all of this was that mana is power that only gods are supposed to be using. The description of mana above doesn't really put out that its the source of power for gods only. It reads to me more like a source of energy that is naturally present for anyone to employ, just like any other resource. Instead, it was expressed by applying the motivation to become like a god to the sorcerer only, as if the only connection to the gods was the user wanting to be like them.

I think that could be communicated better in the descriptions then. As is, it reads more like the so-called "candy coated" sorcery you are saying it isn't. It makes much more sense that the individuals who are more likely to be using sorcery are egotistical, as their use is dangerous to the world around them and that they have little respect for the gods, but your original explanation did not communicate that to me, nor did Rory's explanation. It made no sense why sorcerers are all trying to be like gods if it is not first established that mana is the force of the gods.

I'm sorry if it sounded hostile, but it really did need that point spelled out.
Mana Apparatus
Master of Magic

Post by Mana Apparatus » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:06 pm

...I like boobs. That's my response.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Magic: Sorcery

Post by J. M. Vincent » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:19 pm

So... eloquent, Rory. XD
Astrid Starwind

Post by Astrid Starwind » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:06 am

Sorry everyone! didn't mean to create a furious debate over the sorcery. My idea was that since human race isn't old...only very few would have mastered the art of sorcery enough to be very powerful. How about this...Sorcerers can have a choice of learning it from a school and do not mind being conformed to rules set by the guild/school. This I magine if used will be to create a postive force that will show other non magic users that not every sorcerer is power hungry. They can also learn from a master and do what ever they wish without the guild regulting them. I think that little morale point about helping those in need (not in everything but if they are say for e.g. being highway robbed..the sorcerer can stop the robbers and bring them to justice.) something that will help the society in that sort of way. They are not suppose to make every poor people rich or produce money etc. Then they are rogue sorcerers who are power hungry and will do anything for a price.

That was the idea I had in mind...not a morale judgement. I understand humans weren't magically inclined at birth like elemental race.
Astrid Starwind

Perceptionist Discussion

Post by Astrid Starwind » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:18 am

World of Aserra wrote:
Mana Apparatus wrote:Preceptionists are those who can alter the perceptions of others via mass influencing hypnosis. This type of psychics usually demonstrate some ability with illusion, misdirection and "magic tricks". Though not all Illusionists are Perceptionists, the latter can "brainwash" people into seeing things differently. The effect is hardly permanent, however, if one is handing out copper coins claiming
that they are gold, then those who snatch up those "gold coins" are the ones who get saddled with the repercussions of pawning false coins. This trick is extremely effective when it comes to money changers. Handing in thirty rocks (seen as copper coins) to get 3 silver is an effective and simple way to make money for less scrupulous perceptionists. Changing one's appearance to make a tidy get
away is also within their power.
This ability, while usually hereditary can be learned, but only if the other person is wholly willing to teach such a dangerous art.
*scratches her head* ummm my character's specialty is to create illusion or dissect an illusion to mainly to help herself when she is in trouble but would she belong to this catergory as well?
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Zuku Ari-Ari Kika wrote:Mages may take from any school of magic, but depending on the ethics and interests of the mage, they may completely disregard certain schools while focusing only on the rest.
The nation of Emkal is doing it's part in making sorcery ethically and ecologically more sound, but outside of that nation sorcery is a dangerous form of magic that I will not water down, nor sugar coat. There may be many individuals who try to use sorcery for the benefit of mankind, and for individuals, but keep in mind that power corrupts, and sorcery is an awesome power.
Mana Apparatus
Master of Magic

Magic: Important Announcement, read or get kicked hard

Post by Mana Apparatus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Magic

This an announcement about the knowledge of magic in the world. I would like each potential player to read this through from beginning to end, and I do not apologize for however long this may be.

Magic is commonplace in Role-Playing Games. From Dungeons and Dragons, to Cthulhu, from White Wolf games to any console based RPG (handhelds included), magic comes in many shapes, flavours and colours. This allows us, the players many options when choosing our characters and allows us to build up our characters without being decimated by the growing horde of stronger and stronger enemies. But our main weakness with magic is that everyone seems to know everything about it. Allow me to illustrate this with hypothetical excerpts I'm sure you're familiar with in any gaming circles that used D&D.

Rob (fighter): So, we've got our share of the loot, and lots of gold for me to spend, so I go into town and see if I can acquire a +2 flaming rapier.

Tom (rogue): Ooh, I really need a new plus on my +1 shortbow of distance, so I tag along with Rob's character to see what I can afford with the earnings from the previous adventure.

Ray (DM): Alright, your characters go to the city's more expensive armoury. There the shopkeep takes a good look at the two of you and asks what you want to buy.

Rob: *in character* Excuse me, my good man. I'm looking for a +2 flaming rapier for sale.

Ray: *as the shopkeep* Sure thing, good sir. I happen to have one available to purchase.

STOP

This is a typical setting of D&D, magic is about as commonplace as indoor plumbing is in the Dark Ages. The mages in this Normal magic world, are a secretive bunch (via the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide description of mages) and yet an uneducated fighter knows about a "+2 flaming rapier"? or the thief, not versed in magical lore, knows that magical items can be upgraded via magic? Ignoring the PCs here, how does the commoner man, the shopkeep know what a "+2 flaming rapier" even looks like?

Magic is far from commonplace. It's mystical and mythical. Mages are feared (if not respected) and as such their magics frighten the commoners. Such people are to be kept away from children, as superstitions grow about the powers of some of the greater magician's powers. Summoning hordes of undead, casting fireballs that could literally take out entire towns, why would the commoners, the magicless, know so much about mages?

Sure, you could argue that it's due to the superstitions of the commoners, but then if something like a magical sword came into their shops, do you think that they'd really accept such a thing? They'd be half frightened out of their skin. If the prior conversation had taken place at a mage's tower, the shopkeep a mage himself, it's viable. But then we return our attention to the PCs, how do they know about magic? Why do they know about the enchanter's art to make enchanted weapons that can aid their abilities? Neither one of them have any magical training, neither one of them attended a school for the ungifted to learn about the gifted's magical gifts. Sorcerers, Wizards, Priests...they wouldn't allow such things to be known about. This isn't even COUNTING the Druids and the fact that they're so bloody secretive they have their own language just to keep their knowledge from the common people.

Wizards, Sorcerers, Priests, they don't cast their magic in the common tongue. Arcanists (Wiz/Sor) cast spells in either Draconic or Elven (if they are an elf), sometimes even other languages such as Ignan, Terran, Aquan or Aeran. Priests cast their divine spells in either Celestial, Infernal or Abyssal- languages the common man wouldn't even fathom in their wildest imaginations!

Too many times have DMs and GMs neglected reading the books, understanding the rules, the worlds that they are using, and how the common folk should react to magic and situations of magicians. The nobles would know little of magic, probably taught a tiny smidgen about it (reflected in their knowledge arcana base) and know that magicians could create such stunning artifacts as a +1 longsword. This wouldn't mean that they would know the extent of the magical powers of any given mage. Even if they made their knowledge arcana roll, that would still put them at a severe disadvantage of what the hell these wizards and sorcerers and even bloody clerics are doing.

Even in a magic rich world, the common people wouldn't know too much about magic. Hell, 90% of them wouldn't be able to be able to make their Knowledge Arcana rolls even if they were all treated with having 4 ranks of Knowledge Arcana COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that commoners have more important things to learn, like their professions.

The common people, and Player Characters as well, should not know a whole helluva lot about magic. Magic is a secretive art form. People who use magic would not do so in a way that could be easily interpreted by others. If it were that easy to learn, everyone would have magic, no one would ever starve, people would be killing each other and making it look like their neighbour's retarded invalid cousin did it, just because they have the ability to. The world would decay into absolute chaos. Or alternatively, the people would be so dependent on magic that they couldn't even clothe themselves without a spell even if they wanted to. Sorcerers and Wizards realize this and keep their artform very secretive. Clerics, working either for the good of people, or the evil in people, wouldn't tell the masses either. An informed people is a people not easily controlled, for the evil standard, and those working for the greater good would realize the two things I brought up earlier.

Magic is in no way supposed to be taken lightly. Even Merlin used simple illusionist tricks to keep people from knowing what he was doing. In Lodoss, a setting quite a few of you migrants know about, sorcery was hardly commonplace, at least, it was supposed to be that way. Up in Alecrast there are schools of sorcery, but only if the student has the gift of magic can the student even learn about magic. In Lodoss there was handful of mages. You could almost count all of them on one hand! Parn knew poop about magic. He was "Durr sword slash cut stuff so that what I do". It was Deedlit's fascination in Parn and sheer naivete that she decided to tell Parn so much about Shamanist magic. Even then, she knew it would be impossible for Parn to learn any of the magic, so she was perfectly safe teaching him anything.

So please take this into consideration when you play and make your characters. Magic is a secretive and sacred art, a powerful and dangerous tool if used incorrectly.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Discussion for Enchanters

Post by J. M. Vincent » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Any questions, comments, or corrections regarding the Enchantment magic system should be posted here.
Astrid Starwind

Discussion for Enchanters

Post by Astrid Starwind » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:22 pm

just a few curious questions, I know getting an item enchanted is specialty of a small group of people in Aserra...so does that mean it gets keyed to a specific group, person or even bloodline? can it be broken and re enchanted by another enchanter?
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Magic: Enchantment

Post by J. M. Vincent » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Yes, an item can be keyed to a specific person, bloodline, race, or other such recognizable grouping, but only by the most experienced and talented enchanters. That being said, if the enchanted item is broken, it will lose it's enchantment and only the original enchanter could restore it to it's previous magical condition. To ask a different enchanter, even of equal standing, to restore it would be akin to asking DaVinci to touch up a Michelangelo, basically it would be an insult to their own art.

If every single piece of the broken Item were accounted for and then reforged/remade, then yes, the enchantment would not be entirely broken, but it would have to be done by the same enchanter or the first apprentice of that enchanter.
Astrid Starwind

Re: Magic: Enchantment

Post by Astrid Starwind » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:41 am

Just another quick question, How will non human enchantment work? Like items that was enchanted by say an elemental race, will their principles work different? What are the restrictions and bonuses? Can it be used by human race should they somehow come into owning one?
Astrid Starwind

Post by Astrid Starwind » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 am

Just a total bunch of random questions, if power corrupts...how come elemental race never becomes corrupt?considering their long life use of awsome power of elemental magic? or the gods who uses the power of mana too? I mean gods created the world of adun but are they immune to the forces of power?I know I didn't create Adun but why is human always disadvantaged when it comes to power? Is the soul so weak it scums to the dark side of power? Why can't they ever use the better side of the power?

I know I sound like an idiot, but I think it had be great to stop copying other fantasy world's magic system and go against what is considered usual of a fantasy world. I mean who said light elves can't be corrupted? who ever said human sorcery ever equal the power to that of an elemental race(despite not living long)? I mean does mana have to be property of the gods? why can't it be free flowing force that only small number of people ever be aware of their existance and how to use it (apart from gods)?
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 am

• Gods already rule the world and run it the way they want to, and there are evil gods. Gods have complete power, and they use it how they see fit. They could already be called corrupt.
  • Elementalism doesn't compare at all to the power from sorcery. Elementalists are limited in what they can do with the control of their elements. Sorcerers can practically do anything.
  • Mana is the LIFEFORCE OF THE PLANET. The world has a limited supply that is intended to fuel life (plants, animals, people) for as long as the world is able to support life. The gods know how limited this is and use it for their own whims. When humans start tapping it into mana and wasting it for their frivolous whims, the gods start to worry and get pissed off. Sorcerers probably don't know that there is only a limited supply of mana, but the gods do.
  • Humans are not disadvantaged in the least. They are inventive, they have a number of OTHER magic systems, and they stand to inherit the world.
As for why it can't be different from other fantasy worlds... well, Rory and I have our reasons for doing it this way.
Astrid Starwind

Post by Astrid Starwind » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 am

:) at least most sorcery questions have been answered... it won't be long before myths and legends of different races start popping up.

Thanks Jess for answering my question and actually have patience about it too.. :D
Rothene

Post by Rothene » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:47 am

These manastones...do they come with mana? or can they hold mana? If they come with mana, it gets used up when the sorcerer draws mana from it right? If they can hold mana, does that allow the sorcerer to store mana into the stone to be used at a later time in case the sorcerer runs out of mana? And any particular schools of sorcery in Emkal? Schools as in the type would-be sorcerers go to recieve magical education.
Rayn Cauhc - Profile - Gallery - Plot
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:58 am

Rothene wrote:These manastones...do they come with mana? or can they hold mana? If they come with mana, it gets used up when the sorcerer draws mana from it right?
Mana stones are acquired fully charged, their charge is lost over the course of casting spells, but can be recharged at leylines and leypoints.
Rothene wrote:If they can hold mana, does that allow the sorcerer to store mana into the stone to be used at a later time in case the sorcerer runs out of mana?
Sorcerers draw a trace amount of mana from themselves, and more from the life surrounding them. A mana stone provides a greater source of mana, thus protecting the life surrounding them. As long as a sorcerer carries a mana stone or liquefied mana, it is the first energy source a spell will use for fuel, as it is the most concentrated.
Rothene wrote:And any particular schools of sorcery in Emkal? Schools as in the type would-be sorcerers go to recieve magical education.
Emkal has a very advanced education system, but I don't know if I set up schools especially for sorcery. Check Emkal's write-up on the nations board to see what it says about formal education for sorcery. If it's not there, I'll add it in tomorrow, but it's too late for me to bother with it right now.