Guns?

Here's where to discuss world information. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them on this board. Many articles have a corresponding discussion thread, so if you want more information on a race or nation find the index stickied at the top of the board. Otherwise, feel free to post new topics for questions and such.
Forum rules
Rules of Development
  1. Keep in mind that this world may be published in one way or another. I encourage you not to integrate any concepts of a story or RPG world that you are creating and intend to publish independent of Aserra.
  2. Any ideas you use must be original, as if I publish this game, I would not like to get slapped with copyright infringement suit for a rip-off I didn't catch.
  3. Do not model any nations or cultures entirely after existing nations and cultures in the real world. You may use aspects of any existing cultures, though, and it would be best to mix things up too.
  4. There is a need to be reasonable with cultures, abilities, and the like that are created for Aserra. I don't want nations that are the epitome of perfection, or an entirely unreasonable set of abilities that causes them to be sensationally over powered compared to others of their race.
  5. I must give approval for anything major created by other players, so until I tell you that I'm ok with that, don't automatically assume that it'll be canon.
Darthvegeta800
Re: Guns?

Post by Darthvegeta800 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:32 am

I was jesting :p
Doubt they have chain or adamantine tech.

As for swords and the likes. Just because humans have no magic or odd special abilities that doesn't mean their smithing is outdone. Except by the Dwarves. You'd kind of expect humans to be actually rather good at technology, leading to the age of 'metal'. Humans are widespread and inventive despite lacking some of the perks the others have.
And given their inclination towards war i'd say when it comes to siegecraft, armorcraft, smithing etc they'd score pretty high.
Magnus Thane - Profile - Gallery - Available
Valerios Lasad - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Volk - Profile - Gallery - Available

Visit my autocratic militaristic superpower:
http://www.nationstates.net/khone
Mana Apparatus
Master of Magic

Post by Mana Apparatus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Magical wars would leave little to nothing remaining of the countryside. Kinda like swatting a mosquito with a nuke. Makes about as much sense as well.
Agathea Sachs - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Alm - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Maro Isunuri - Profile - Gallery - Plot
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 pm

The gods already had a magical war. Continent sunk. Millions died. Let's not do it again, eh? :P
Astrid Starwind

Post by Astrid Starwind » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:07 am

oooh...nearly forgot about the last 'magical' war fought in Adun >_<! I think right now humans are more advanced in siegecraft and armorcraft? I would love that! seriously siegecraft is the thing that would make an impact if a country is trying to take over another country! great..love wars that involves siegecraft.
Aramiya Kamiyashwa - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Darthvegeta800

Post by Darthvegeta800 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:24 am

Indeed. Humans have probably quite a few expansionist factions and fighting among human nations is probably not rare. So they should be quite proficient at warfare techniques such as formations, combined arms and siegecraft. Though of course, if possible they'll still avoid besieging someone. It's logical.
Magnus Thane - Profile - Gallery - Available
Valerios Lasad - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Volk - Profile - Gallery - Available

Visit my autocratic militaristic superpower:
http://www.nationstates.net/khone
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:04 am

Yes, humans are just about the only race that actively wars with each other (disregarding the Forsaken Landers). The other races are trained in combat mostly as defense.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Thu May 06, 2010 6:51 pm

As an update to this thread, the nation of Belvon is a technologically advanced nation which will have early firearms.
little knight

Post by little knight » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 am

From what i've gathered, oldest type of guns were basically fireworks on a stick. Terribly inaccurate, but terribly destructive. They were effective against larger armies, primarily considering accuracy isnt necissarily needed when your facing something that size (broad side of a barn). I'd say no to Bayonets just on principal that older gen guns were heavy enough as it was without adding a blade to the tip.

There could be specialty guns, or slightly more advance ones (the pump action rifle was actually invented during the revoluationary war, but wasn't used for a 100 years), but it would be have to be developed by someone really exceptional, but likely not at all. And as for magical guns... thats a weird combination. Most schools of magic tended to be weakened by iron in a bit of lore, and would there be finite (battery) of magic, or would it draw on ambiant magic. Overall, i'd go with just the standard matchlock if your going to have guns.
Azala - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Elessa La Roux - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Eris Blackstaff - Profile - Gallery - Available
Gurt Longear - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Pharen Greywords - Profile - Gallery - Plot