Races Index

Here's where to discuss world information. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Post them on this board. Many articles have a corresponding discussion thread, so if you want more information on a race or nation find the index stickied at the top of the board. Otherwise, feel free to post new topics for questions and such.
Forum rules
Rules of Development
  1. Keep in mind that this world may be published in one way or another. I encourage you not to integrate any concepts of a story or RPG world that you are creating and intend to publish independent of Aserra.
  2. Any ideas you use must be original, as if I publish this game, I would not like to get slapped with copyright infringement suit for a rip-off I didn't catch.
  3. Do not model any nations or cultures entirely after existing nations and cultures in the real world. You may use aspects of any existing cultures, though, and it would be best to mix things up too.
  4. There is a need to be reasonable with cultures, abilities, and the like that are created for Aserra. I don't want nations that are the epitome of perfection, or an entirely unreasonable set of abilities that causes them to be sensationally over powered compared to others of their race.
  5. I must give approval for anything major created by other players, so until I tell you that I'm ok with that, don't automatically assume that it'll be canon.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin
Race Suggestions

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 pm

If you have any suggestions for races you'd like to see, please, post them!

We currently have:
  • Humans
  • Winged Elves/People (Zaedyn) Air Element
  • Merfolk (Mariel) Water Element
  • Dwarves (Brech'mar) Earth Element
  • Naga (Need new name) Fire Element
  • Nymphs (Need new name) Life Element
    • Faunial Nymphs (Animal shape shifters--need new name)
    • Dryads (Need new name)
    • Neirads (Need new name)
  • (Light) Elves (Idayn) Light Element
    • High Elves (Idayn)
    • Centaurs (Eain'Idayn)
    • Wood Elves (Fayl'Idayn)
    • Winter Elves (Aeun'Idayn)
    • Desert Elves (Ery'Idayn)
    • Grass Elves (Oir'Idayn)
    • WIld Elves (Ur'Idayn)
  • Dark Elves (Danaij) Dark Element
    • Danaij'vai
  • Kiar (Halflings)
  • Iengi (Giants)
  • Some interracial mixes
Considered Races
  • Angels, Demons, and high spirits which exist on the same plane as the gods, but can cross over into the physical world.
  • Orc, goblin, and troll like races.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Race Suggestions

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:57 pm

I decided to rename the Naga and Nymphs, the are now Asath and Nafod, respectively. Also, there may be some mentions of dragon-kin, but I'm writing that out.
Mid-Boss

Post by Mid-Boss » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:56 pm

I've got a set of creatures that could be good candidates for the "monster" races. I'll post them up if you'd like. (I'm being tentitive about this 'cause people tell me I'm bossy about world-building. :P )
Araleigh Madral - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Bastion Ulbrecht - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Cade Adamear - Profile - Gallery - Available
Rissya - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Terin L'Iloysia - Profile - Gallery - Plot
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Sure, I'll take a look at them. I've been bouncing a few ideas around in my head, but nothing really workable yet. It's more the origin of the race(s) that I'm stuck on, rather than the culture though.
Mid-Boss

Post by Mid-Boss » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Well, would a collection of JRPG-type "villian" races(pig-like, dog-like, etc) be too typical? I know we don't want a "Lodoss II" but I always thought they had a excellent stable of beastmen.

Sorry, I'm being real scatterbrained about this. I'd just hate to step on any toes. :oops:
Araleigh Madral - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Bastion Ulbrecht - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Cade Adamear - Profile - Gallery - Available
Rissya - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Terin L'Iloysia - Profile - Gallery - Plot
Calix
Location:in the conservatory, with the candlestick. raping you with it.

Post by Calix » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:41 pm

I don't think they necessarily have to be villains, but I would admittedly love the chance to finally play a nekoboy-type in an RP that doesn't... die. XD
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Well, in the case of cat boys, we'll probably have a couple feline Nafod clans. I have a neko-ish character concept to finally get back into play after many, many years.
World of Aserra

Marriage in Adun

Post by World of Aserra » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am

Something I wanted to add, but I'm just going to cover all races in general for now.

Marriage
There are many forms of marriage throughout the races and cultures of Adun; arranged, monogamy, polygamy, same-sex, or even no real form of marriage at all.

Humans
The most varied and prodigious race has a myriad of customs. In most cultures, arranged marriages are the most common. Among the upper class, most arranged marriages are national or political alliances, but amongst the commoners, marriages are often arranged by career matchmakers who pair youths of marriageable age based on astrology and assessments of the potential spouses' personalities. In some cultures, parents seek a matchmaker for their children in their late teens to mid-twenties. In yet other cultures, even marriages amongst commoners are based on monetary gain as parents seek girls with the highest dowries for their sons, and prosperous young men for their daughters.

Other human cultures allow polygamy, especially among the upper class. This can include taking two or three wives, or an entire harem of concubines. In polygamist cultures, the nobility often have their harems, while the commoners may take two or more wives.

Amongst humans, those in monogamous relationships have a high percentage of adultery, especially the males. In many cases, this leads to divorce, though this also depends on the taboos related to divorce, and subjugation of women in the culture. In strongly male dominated cultures, women aren't allowed the opportunity to speak out against their husband in cases of abuse as the culture deems it the wife's "fault" if her man strays. However, in cultures where the genders are equal, or near equal, women can divorce on the basis of adultery. In yet other cultures, because of the high percentage of adultery, flings on the side are deemed acceptable for both spouses; as they realize that passion tends to burn out over the years.

Acceptance of homosexual relations varies between cultures as well. Some cultures find it to be an abomination, while others accept it as a fact of life. In some of the latter cultures, it may be allowed for homosexual couples to wed, or marriage may be reserved for heterosexual couples while homosexual couples merely live together. In the now female dominated society of Ertia, lesbian relationships are highly regarded and women marry each other on a regular basis, often raising children together that were conceived through the use of male slaves to impregnate them.

Zaedyn (Avians)
The Zaedyn are monogamous and loyal; unlike humans, they have extremely low rates of adultery and find happiness in a long pair-bond with their spouse. This echoes the mating habits of many bird species, which mate for life. Their passion is rather mercurial as air elementals however, but as the whole culture has the same general personality traits, couples can find joy in a partner who understands them better than one of another race.

Zaedyn are left to find their own mates, and most chose a partner in the thirties, after having decided their career path and finishing their training or apprenticeship. As their passion can be rather lackadaisical, they rarely have more than two or three children throughout their lifetimes. They are not known to have exceptionally high libidos, but they have their moments.

Homosexuality and bisexuality accounts for a small percentage of the Zaedyn population, and those who are completely homosexual generally do not marry, and due to the small percentage, may not find a suitable mate without traveling great distances to other clans—or they may even seek love in individuals of other races. The actual marriage bond and ceremony is only done for heterosexual couples, but it is perfectly acceptable for a homosexual couple to reside together as lovers, but they rarely raise children. In rare cases of Zaedyn children being orphaned, a homosexual couple may adopt if their clan approves of them as parents. As for female couples, it can be hard to find a "donor" to help them get pregnant, due to the strong sense of monogamy, but they at times can find an unwed male, or a couple that is willing to assist.

Mariel (Merfolk)
In general, the Mariel are polygamous. Usually, this is polygyny, where one male takes several wives, but there are some females who desire the same privilege and become polyandrous, taking several husbands. In the case of bisexual individuals, they may marry partners of both genders as they like.

Brech'mar (Dwarves)
The Brech'mar are monogamous, and steadfastly loyal to their spouses. Adultery is rare, and most find comfort in the security of having a single spouse always there for them. Most Brech'mar marry in their late twenties to late thirties, often after completing an apprenticeship and finding a trade. In most clans, marriages are carefully arranged, considering the interests of both potential betrothed. A matchmaker is often hired to chose suitable spouses for a young man or woman and presents the options to the family. If a couple falls in love on their own, they may marry so long as the family approves. Parents are often very picky about their children's potential mates.

Homosexuality is somewhat rare in Brechan society as well, and frowned upon. Most parents idealize a male-female relationship that bears many grandchildren, and so, having a gay child is a hindrance to this ideal. Most gay Brech'mar are secretive about their interests and may even leave their clan to find a more welcoming society. Others may chose to repress their interests and focus on a career, going unwed, or marry only to please their families. If they do find a lover in their own gender, it often becomes a secret affair, and if discovered, the clan will banish them in most cases.

Asath (Naga)
A passionate and lusty people, the Asath are polyamorous and polygamous. Before marriage, most Asath sexually experiment and have brief affairs until they find a partner that they can find a lasting affection for. Once they find this person, they will marry and proceed to begin a family. Due to the extended periods between estruses, female Asath rarely become accidentally pregnant, but when they do, they will usually marry the father, or another man. The Asath believe strongly in having at least two parents to raise children.

However, over time, passions will dull and married partners may lose interest in each other sexually. When they do, they will seek a new partner, while still remaining honest and amicable with their first. In many cases, after some time with someone new to refresh them, they can rekindle their passion with their first spouse. When a another partner is brought into an existing marriage, the previous spouses must approve of the new one before anything can happen. Due to their open marriages, divorce is rare unless a partner feels severely mistreated.

Complete homosexuality is rare, but bisexuality is quite common among the Asath, especially the females. Both, however, are readily accepted. Homosexual couples are allowed to marry, and enjoy the same polygamy that straight couples do. Homosexual Asath sometimes end up marrying bisexual individuals and entering their extended family.

Ocha'nafod (Shapeshifters)
The marriage customs of the Ochae'nafod depend mostly on the mating habits of the animal they have bonded to, and closely resemble them. In the case of more solitary bonded animal species, the Ochae'nafod traditions sometimes differ, such is the case of the Ursus clan. Bonded to bears, normally a solitary animal, the Ursus instead live in small communities together. Whereas bears find a seasonal mate, then leave after mating, the Ursus clan actually practices monogamy. Those bonded to more sociable species, however, do often echo in their animal's mating habits. Monogamy is a common theme with many species, but so are harem systems. There is generally no actual form of marriage though; a couple privately agrees to make a commitment to each other and cohabit together.

Homosexuality is rare, and when it occurs, a gay individual has the same relationship rights as straight individuals do, though they may face some ostracism in certain clans.

Dra'nafod (Dryads)
Dra'nafod practice polyamory, though they have no recognizable form of marriage. With their long lifespans, love tends to wax and wane. Usually, a Dra'nafod will chose a mate with whom they have fallen in love and conceive a child, but by time the next estrus comes about, they may find that the romance they had with their first love isn't so easy to rekindle. That is why after the conception of a child, both parents are open to seeking a new mate. There is still a commitment between their first mate, and their passion may last for many years more, but they may fall in love with another. If they do, the first mate generally must approve of sharing their beloved with another. This leads to extended, yet close-knit families of friends and lovers. Over the course of their lifespans, their relationships with their partners may favor one as a lover over another, but once the novelty wears off again, they can focus their romantic attentions on the other. Elder Dra'nafod may have three or four mates who each have three or four mates of their own, and so on. However, the Dra'nafod are not especially sexual, their idea of romance includes a combination of emotional, spiritual, and physical love.

Dra'nafod couples may not live together, but each will have their own space, while their partners live nearby. During periods of child rearing or when a couple is in that "honeymoon" stage of the relationship, they usually share a home for awhile.

Homosexuality and bisexuality occur rather often in Dra'nafod society, and their relationships are much the same as straight couples, only with less children. Completely homosexual individuals may often enter a relationship with a bisexual and become a part of their extended family.

Marfod (Sea Nymphs)
Marfod are rather independent, but still seek companionship of their own kind or Mariel. When it comes to mating, females seek out a male if they wish to have a child, and they have little interest in sex beyond what is necessary for reproduction. After conception, the male usually leaves and the female raises a child on her own. They sometimes take Mariel lovers, but these relationships are often without commitment.

Due to the low libidos of the females and their independence, lesbian relationships are rare. Amongst males, whoever, who often go without when there are no females seeking to bear children, will at times have intimate relations with their own gender, either that, or turn to Mariel females for sexual release. Complete homosexuality is simply not an option for male Marfod, as each male has a duty to his race to impregnate females when they ask for it. Those who do seem to only have an interest in other males will fulfill their duties to the females when asked of them.

Idayn (High Elves)
The Idayn are monogamous and chose their own spouse when they feel they are ready. They don't often live together, except for brief periods of romance and to raise a child, and they believe that space is necessary to maintain love.

When homosexuality occurs, they may chose to marry in the same way. As the race is immortal, reproduction is not a big issue for them.

Fayl'Idayn (Wood Elves)
Due to their often mixed background between Nafod races and Idayn, their marriage traditions are sometimes hard to define. As a default, they follow the Idayn example of forging a strong bond with one individual and marrying them, though those with Dra'nafod blood may decide to be polyamorous.

Eain'Idayn (Centaurs)
Monogamy and sometimes harems.

Aeul'Idayn (Winter Elves)
Monogamy

Ery'Idayn (Desert Elves)
Polygamy?

Oir'Idayn (Grass Elves)
Monogamy?

Ur'Idayn (Wild Elves)
Harems?

Danaij (Dark Elves)
Danaij relationships can be complicated, and they are a highly sexually deviant people. There are some who are openly polyamorous, and others who claim to be monogamous. However, especially among the higher classes, it isn't uncommon to claim to be monogamous while having numerous adulterous affairs, which are all and elaborate game between partners. They try to create intricate plots to avoid being caught so that they may find pleasure in doing something perceived to be wrong. The cheated spouse often fools themselves into thinking that their partner is monogamous, and try to uncover the truth. However, they may also be having their own affairs. These relationships can be tumultuous, but divorce is rare and they enjoy the subterfuge, whether they admit it or not.

Others may chose to be open about their relations, becoming polyamorous and sometimes polygamous. It is more common for partners of high social standing to marry, then take concubines from the lower class, who effectively become their slaves.

Homosexuality is rare, but bisexuality is extremely common amongst the Danaij.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Post by J. M. Vincent » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 pm

I think we have plenty now, so I'm going to close this thread.
World of Aserra

Races Index

Post by World of Aserra » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Races
Aserra is a world populated by a myriad of peoples. All races came to be by the power of the gods, though what became of them was left in their own hands. Nydoini, the Mother Goddess, created humans after Aserra was filled with life. When her children matured, they were encouraged to create their own human-like races to serve them. In time, splinter groups from some of these races defined themselves as their own race with their own unique traits.

Races are broken into three groups; human races, elemental races, and what basically amounts to ‘miscellaneous’. Natural races may have been initially created by the gods, but were given no special traits and left to mostly evolve on their own. The elemental races were specially modified from a basic form by the seven elemental gods, and incarnated with the souls of elemental spirits, which granted them the ability for control of their element in a form of magic. The others are unique and stand-alone races. These three groups are little more than arbitrary, and only serve to mark the elemental races as unique from all others.

All races are playable, though there may be complications to playing certain races, and some populations should be kept very limited in the role-play.

Human Races
Humanity and its offshoot races. Humanity was brought into the world by Nydoini, and over the course of its existence, spawned the Kiar and Iengi. The Kuzo were a corrupted off-shoot of humanity created by the dark gods.
  • Humans – The most prosperous race and equivalent of our real world species. Default RP race. [Discussion Thread]
  • Kiar – An offshoot of the human race, they are a petite and short-lived people. Equivalent of halflings, hobbits, gnomes, or grassrunners. [Discussion Thread]
  • Iengi – Another human offshoot, the Iengi are solitary and primitive giants with an increasingly smaller population with each generation. [Discussion Thread]
  • Kuzo – A corrupted offshoot of the human race, altered by the dark gods to serve as foot soldiers in the War of the Gods. Primitive, ugly, small, and short-lived. They inhabit wildernesses across temperate Aserra. An analogue of goblins. [Discussion Thread]
Elemental Races
Seven basic races created by the Elemental Gods of the Second Generation. These races were created using the same basic form, but granted unique traits by the god that created them. Each race has the ability to control an element of nature thanks to being incarnated with the souls of elemental spirits.
  • Zaedyn – A race of winged air elementalists with the souls of Sylph, created by Zelan, the God of Air. . An equivalent to other winged races, such as Avariel. Not to be confused with angels. [Discussion Thread]
  • Mariel – A race of marine water elementalists with the souls of Undine, created by Maris, the Goddess of Water. An analogue of mermaids/merfolk. [Discussion Thread]
  • Brech’mar – A subterranean race of earth elementalists with the souls of Gnome, created by Brecha, the Goddess of Earth. An analogue of dwarves. [Discussion Thread]
  • Asath – A race of half-man, half-snake fire elementalists with the souls of Salamander, created by Alaezo, the God of Fire. An analogue of naga. [Discussion Thread]
  • Nafod – A basic archetype of shape-shifting life elementalists with the souls of Nymphs, created by Entra, the Goddess of Life. They are broken into three races. [Discussion Thread]
    • Ochae’nafod – A Nafod race which bound themselves to animals. Broken into many tribes, with each tribe capable of shape-shifting into one species of animal. This race can be equivocated into many different animalistic races in fantasy including weres (ie; werewolves, werecats, etc.), cat people, youkai, anthropomorphic or furries, among others. The Ochae’nafod are typically in their humanoid (or elf-like Nafod) form. Ochae’nafod have the souls of Nymphs.
      • Ochae’nafod Tribes - Existing Ochae’nafod tribes can be found here, and will be updated as new tribes are created.
    • Dra’nafod – A Nafod race which bound themselves to trees. Like Ochae’nafod, they are broken into many tribes, each one bonded with a tree species. They are mortal incarnations of Dryads.
      • Dra’nafod Tribes - Existing tribes listed here, new tribes will be added as they are created.
    • Marfod – A race of marine Nafod which dually follow Entra and Maris, and are incarnated with the souls of Nereid. They cannot shape-shift, but can change the color of their skin for camouflage.
  • Idayn – A race of light elementalists with the souls of light spirits, created by Idraen, the God of Light. There are many offshoot races, but the main race still exists. They can be considered analogues of elves. [Discussion Thread]
    • Idayn - The original Idayn race. An analogue of high elves.
    • Eain’Idayn – A sub-race of the Idayn that was once an Idayn cavalry during the War of the Gods that Idraen combined with their mounts, creating a race of half-men, half-horses. Herds living alongside the Idayn can still use light elementalism, while independent herds have mostly lost the ability. They are an analogue of centaurs.
    • Fayl’Idayn – A sub-race of Idayn that inhabits the Ardir Forest of Kalesten. They were adopted by Entra, the Goddess of Life, and are now incarnated with the souls of fae and commonly use fae magic. They commonly have mixed heritages with Nafod and even human ancestry. An analogue of wood elves or common elves.
    • Aeul’Idayn – A sub-race of the Idayn that inhabit the arctic continent of Athok. They were adopted by Fria, the Goddess of Winter and incarnated with the souls of Lycia, the ice elemental, giving them the ability for ice elementalism. They are very pale in coloration. They can be referred to as winter, snow, or ice elves.
    • Ery’Idayn – A sub-race of the Idayn that inhabit the Great Desert of Thiskel. They have lost the ability for elementalism, but have become a predominantly shamanistic culture. They are dark skinned (though often fair-haired) and their ancestry is heavily mixed with humans. This race can be referred to as desert elves.
    • Oir’Idayn – A sub-race of the Idayn that inhabit the grasslands of the Kalesten isthmus. They are short and well-tanned. They have lost the ability for elementalism, but have become a predominantly shamanistic culture. This race can be referred to as grass elves.
    • Ur’Idayn – A sub-race of the Idayn that inhabit the rainforests of southern Kalesten. They have dark features and have mixed Idayn and human ancestry, being responsible for wiping out the entire human civilization in the region by a campaign of slaughter and breeding-out. Antagonistic and even feral. They have lost the ability for elementalism but have become a predominantly shamanistic culture. This race can be referred to as wild elves.
  • Danaij – A black-skinned race of dark elementalists with the souls of Shades, created by Ispa, the Goddess of Darkness. An analogue of dark elves or drow. [Discussion Thread]
    • Danaij’vai – A sub-race of the Danaij created by Craeseth, the God of War. They are larger than the Danaij, but most notably have thorn-like boney spurs that grow from prominent bones across their bodies.
Others
Assorted other unique races.
  • Samiss – A primitive reptilian race that inhabits the rain forests of the southern hemisphere. Also known as “lizardmen”. [Discussion Thread]
  • Vampires – Not so much a race as an affliction that can be applied to any race to turn an individual into a powerful undead creature that survives on blood. Vampires are broken up into several clans that serve dark gods and have their own unique traits. [Discussion Thread]
  • Homunculi – Artificially created beings made through magical means. [Discussion Thread]
  • Interracials – Individuals of a mixed heritage from any viable combination of above listed races. [Discussion Thread]
Last edited by J. M. Vincent on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 am, edited 19 times in total.
Reason: Links repaired
World of Aserra

Penises in Aserra

Post by World of Aserra » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 am

For clarity when writing your smut, or just for cultural references, this topic will cover details of the penises in Aserra’s various races and cultures including average sizes, circumcisions, and other traits.

In average-sized humanoids, penises, when erect, are on average around five to six inches in length, as the average vagina is only around five or six inches deep, making a perfect fit. There is, however, a good bit of variety, ranging from about three inches for the smallest end of average to around nine on the larger end of average.

Rarely are penises longer or shorter than that, and when they are, it proves to complicate copulation. A penis under three inches is nearly incapable of copulation without medical assistance (which would be rare to find in Aserra at current), as it cannot penetrate deep enough to deposit sperm in the vaginal vestibule where it can easily travel to the cervix and deeper. While it is technically possible for sperm to impregnate a female if it even meets the vulva and manages to travel inward, it is highly improbable unless the man is incredibly virile.

Despite the insistence of the spam we receive in our inboxs, the commercials for products that promise to increase size and performance, and what you may see in porn, there are a lot of complications with large penises and sex. Due to the fact the average depth of the vagina, a penis larger than average can be painful to most women. The vagina is flexible though, and can adapt to accommodate a longer and thicker than average penis with time and effort. However, for a woman unaccustomed to the large size, reproduction can be complicated if she is intimidated by the size or if she finds it too painful to have sex.

Elemental Races
There is some consistency with the elemental races, in comparison to humans. Typically, their penises are around an average length, but rather slim. This is not always the case, however.
  • Zaedyn
    Average length, with a tendency to be rather slim due to the small frames of their females.
  • Mariel
    With their composite bodies, the Mariel do not have normal reproductive organs, and male penises are retracted within the body, underneath a cloaca. When erect and prepared to mate, the penis will emerge from the cloaca. The Mariel penis also looks rather different from other elemental races, being more “aerodynamic”.
  • Brech’mar
    Short and stout, much like they are.
  • Asath
    Like the Mariel, Asath also conceal their genitals and excretory orifices within a cloaca. When erect and prepared to mate, the penis will emerge from the cloaca. As would be expected with their love of piercings, there are some specific penis piercings in each culture.
  • Nafod
    • Ochae’nafod
      The Ochae'nafod penis is a tricky one. Certain clans may carry sexual traits of their bonded animal, but this is rare. Individuals may also partially shift forms during sex to gain certain benefits or simply for carnal pleasure.
    • Dra’nafod
      Dra'nafod males are rather modestly endowed, otherwise normal.
    • Marfod
      Rather average in shape, though the texture of Marfod skin is much different than land-bound races.
  • Idayn
    Average, often on the slim side, but occasionally moderately thick.
    • Eain’Idayn
      Well... this is the horse half we're talking about here... The Eain’Idayn are entirely equine down there.
    • Fayl’Idayn
      Average, with some degree of variety.
    • Aeul’Idayn
      Average, but tending to be rather slim.
    • Oir’Idayn
      On the shorter end of average in length.
    • Ery’Idayn
      Long, somewhat thin, often with a strong curve.
    • Ur’Idayn
      Average, with some degree of variety.
  • Danaij
    Varied with the large, concentrated population, much like humans.
    • Danaij’vai
      No, they do not have thorny penises (thank Ispa!). They are typically on the larger and thicker end of the spectrum.
Natural Races
The naturally evolving races of Aserra all possess foreskins.
  • Humans
    Humans have a vast variety in size and shape. The various cultures have their own opinion on what to do with foreskins. Some cultures believe it to be healthier to be circumcised, or more fashionable, while others are perfectly content to remain uncut, and even view it as a source of cultural pride.
    • Agenom
      Uncut is the norm for Agenom, and while they do not tend to have strong feelings on the tradition, they do find circumcision to be a rather odd and pointless tradition.
    • Belvon, Emkal
      The Belvonese and Emkalians believe that circumcision is healthier and more civilized.
    • Chawoven, Isbany, Kalestine Empire, Rheneld
      Chawoven and many heartland nations leave the foreskin alone, but they don't have strong feelings on the practice. In some noble circles, circumcision is considered vogue, but not to the extent as in Kosony.
    • Kaius Barbarians, Samonight
      The Kaius Barbarians would have never considered circumcision a tradition had they not encountered other races that do. However, they find the procedure meaningless, and even an insult to their manhood. Samonight, as a strongly male-dominated culture, feels much the same.
    • Kosony
      Though the procedure was introduced from other cultures, Kosony has taken a bit of a liking to the cut penis. It is considered posh and healthy by the elite classes who have their sons circumcised within their first week of life. However, the peasantry, for the most part, has little interest in such things, nor can most families afford to hire someone to perform the operation. However, were a young man to move up in life, (say, become a knight), he would have a hard time finding a bride who would want an uncut man in the upper classes.
    • Serdenaugh
      Serdenaugh is a nation of many peoples with many different view points. Those who are from cultures that traditionally practice circumcision often continue to practice it on their offspring, whereas others simply chose to circumcise their sons for health or cosmetic reasons, or not do so at all.
    • Ertia, Samdra, Shyon
      Ertians do not practice circumcision, and find it to be an odd tradition, but as it is a matriarchal culture, they do not feel insulted by the idea as the Kaians or Samonightans.
  • Kiar
    Kiar generally don’t consider circumcision, except for those living in Belvon.
  • Kuzo
    The Kuzo do not acknowledge circumcision as a common practice, but due to their rough mating practices, some males may technically be circumcised later in life due to tearing of the foreskin. This would probably be done in frustration as a response to a severe tear or continuous tearing, but not as a common medical procedure.
  • Iengi
    The Iengi wouldn't know the first thing about circumcision, let alone have much of an opinion on it.
Last edited by J. M. Vincent on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised
World of Aserra

Populations

Post by World of Aserra » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Populations

Aserra is home to many races, but just how many of each? Some races are quite populous, while others are more scarce. Some spread across the world, filling every niche they possibly can, while yet others inhabit only small pockets of Aserra. All together, the races of Aserra fill out to around five million individuals.

Human Races
  • Humans – Humans, spread across much of Aserra and being rather prodigious at reproducing, as well as being a scientifically progressive race, have the highest population of all of Aserra’s races.
    • Approximate Population: 750,000
  • Kiar – This petite race lives in only a small part of Kalesten, and while they do reproduce quickly, their short lifespan and conservative relationships lead to a population that has sustained itself at a plateau for hundreds of years.
    • Approximate Population: 22,500
  • Kuzo – The primitive Kuzo often face extermination by humans and other races, but they reproduce so prodigiously that their population is quickly replenished. They are scattered across much of the temperate northern hemisphere and the Forsaken Land, living in forests and mountains where they can hide.
    • Approximate Population: 425,000
  • Iengi – The giants of Aserra are quickly disappearing. They are slow to reproduce and have a preference toward either a solitary life, or living amongst peers of their own gender. They are often regarded as dangerous as well, which leads to humans and other races killing them to protect their own interests.
    • Approximate Population: 1,300
Elemental Races
  • Zaedyn – The Zaedyn live in cities carved out of the mountain, each acting as its own independent state. City populations range from around 100-1,000 individuals.
    • Approximate Population: 200,000
  • Mariel – Mariel are masters of their oceans and live in city-states scattered across the seafloor of Aserra’s tropics, with populations ranging from 500-1,500 individuals. Without other races to compete with, their population remains quite stable, though their reproduction rates are rather low.
    • Approximate Population: 400,000
  • Brech’mar – Like their cousins, the Brech’mar live in city-states within mountain ranges across northern Aserra with populations ranging between 500 and 2,000 individuals. They are also one of the more prodigious elemental races and have one of the highest populations (in the proper perspective, at least).
    • Approximate Population: 600,000
  • Asath – The Asath live in either island states in the tropical oceans, or small villages in the mainland tropics and deserts. Island populations usually number between 500-1,500 individuals, while villages range between 50-150 individuals. Their population is similar to the Mariel in many ways.
    • Approximate Population: 400,000
  • Nafod – Broken into three races, the Nafod as a whole have one of the highest populations at around 700,000 individuals, but they are scattered in many miniscule communities across Thiskel and Kalesten.
    • Ochae’nafod – There are many tribes of Ochae’nafod, each bonded to a species of animal, and even smaller clans of each tribe living through most forested areas in Thiskel and Kalesten (both temperate and tropical). The population of each tribe varies with the range of their bonded animal that they must remain in, but each clan has a population of up to a mere twenty-odd individuals.
      • Approximate Population: 550,000
    • Dra’nafod – Like the Ochae’nafod, the Dra’nafod are divided into tribes, bonded to species of tree, but they only inhabit the temperate forests of northern Kalesten and Thiskel. They have a much smaller population and are less prodigious in reproduction. Their clans number no more than twenty-odd individuals.
      • Approximate Population: 150,000
    • Marfod – An aquatic Nafod race with a very low population. They are solitary and rarely reproduce, but also have a very low mortality rate.
      • Approximate Population: 5,000
  • Idayn – After the War of the Gods, the Idayn colonized places across the world, which led to the creation of several sub-races. All together, the Idayn races have around 600,000 individuals.
    • Idayn – The original Idayn race is immortal and inhabits two cities and a handful of smaller villages and outposts throughout the Eldir and Itray Forests of Thiskel. They reproduce slowly, and their population has remained stable for thousands of years.
      • Approximate Population: 20,000
    • Eain’Idayn – Created during the War of the Gods, the Eain’Idayn live alongside the Idayn, and are scattered in small pockets across temperate Thiskel and Kalesten. Most Eain’Idayn live in small herds of 15-30 individuals, except for those who live in the Idayn cities. They have a moderate reproduction rate, especially those herds left on their own. Their incredible appearance makes them targets for curious humans, so they try to live in secluded places where humans don’t often venture, keeping their populations limited.
      • Approximate Population: 100,000
    • Fayl’Idayn – The Fayl’Idayn have full run of the massive Ardir Forest of eastern Kalesten, and live in numerous villages and outposts throughout. Villages typically have a population of between 60-200 individuals, and their reproduction rate is significantly higher than their Idayn ancestors, making them one of the most populous Idayn races.
      • Approximate Population: 250,000
    • Aeul’Idayn – Inhabiting the harsh southernmost peninsula of the arctic continent of Athok, the Aeul’Idayn are hardy survivors. The bulk of the population inhabits the city of Druill, but there are smaller villages along the coasts with populations of around 50 individuals each.
      • Approximate Population: 50,000
      Ery’Idayn – Inhabitants of the Great Desert of Thiskel, the Ery’Idayn live in villages scattered throughout, or drift around nomadically following seasonal water sources. Their population sometimes mingles with humans so thoroughly that it can be hard to tell whether one would count as Ery’Idayn or human.
    • Oir’Idayn – Living in small villages scattered through the grasslands of Kalesten’s isthmus, each community with a population under 100 individuals.
    • Ur’Idayn – The Ur’Idayn conquered the human culture that inhabited the rain forests of southern Kalesten, slaughtering and breeding them out until the Ur’Idayn now stand as a thorough mix of Idayn and human blood. They are a harsh culture, and reproduce quickly, but also have the shortest lifespan of all Idayn.
  • Danaij – As the dominant race of the Forsaken Land the Danaij have a dense population.
      • Approximate Population: 350,000
    • Danaij’vai – An offshoot of the Danaij, the Danaij’vai either live amongst their Danaij cousins or in their own nations in the Forsaken Land. They have a much smaller population than the Danaij, however.
      • Approximate Population: 70,000
Other Races
  • Samiss – Living in the jungles of southern Kalesten and Thiskel, the Samiss are a little known race to people in the north. The reptilian race hides in dense jungles and has a stable population, but they rarely venture from their homeland.
    • Approximate Population: 250,000
  • Vampires – This undead race born of other races is most prominent in the Forsaken Land, but there are covens scattered throughout other parts of the world.
  • Homunculi – There is hardly a census of these human-like creations of sorcery, but there should only be a handful in the world. They can only be created by powerful and skilled sorcerers and cannot reproduce on their own.
    • Approximate Population: <100
  • Interracials – A hard population to pin down, as within a few generations those of mixed-heritages may integrate back into one parent population or another. Considering only those of half-blood, the population could be narrowed down to a small number.
    • Approximate Population: 15,000
Last edited by J. M. Vincent on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Revised from Adun to Aserra
World of Aserra

Languages [To be revised]

Post by World of Aserra » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:22 pm

There are many tongues spoken around Adun between the races and human cultures, However, none are so far defined, aside from a few words here and there. Consider that the language spoken in northern Kalesten is English, though so far, I'm not sure about the humans of the Forsaken Land and Thiskel.

Ancient Tongue
This is the core language spoken by the elemental races, taught to them by the gods. Over the course of many thousands of years, each race, secluded in its own development, eventually formed their own dialect, much like the Romantic languages of our world sprung from Latin.
  • Zaedynian, Idaynian, Dra’nafod, and Ochae’nafod are some of the purest dialects remaining, and though there are some differences, mostly, they can communicate with each other. The Idaynian sub-races have their own dialects that vary from the original Idaynian tongue, and some have been influenced by human languages in the same region. Aeul’Idayn, Eain’Idayn, Fayl’Idayn, and Oir’Idayn dialects are closest to original Idaynian, whereas Ur’Idayn and Ery’Idayn are heavily influenced by human languages in their native region.
  • The Mariel version of the language varies greatly from its original form, taking on a heavily slurred dialect. Most Mariel are educated in at least one other language for their first year on land, but their slurred accent remains. The Mariel and Marfod speak the same dialect, though many Marfod speak more archaic forms due to their long lifespans.
  • The Asath dialect is quite different as well, favoring TH and S sounds, leaving them with a language that has many hissing sounds.
  • The Brech’mar dialect has taken a more brusque, sharp, and consonant heavy sound.
  • The Danaij dialect varies greatly from the original ancient tongue, if only for their desire to distance themselves from the other gods. It is a sharper sound, often favoring consonant sounds like V, S, Z, and X. The Danaij’vai speak the same dialect.
Kalestan
Spoken by the inhabitants of northern Kalesten, the language became the tongue of the entire region around six hundred years ago when the nations were united into one single union. Many of the older languages have been forgotten, but the nations each have their own accents and colloquialisms. Generally, the higher classes and well-educated speak broader versions of the language, while poorer and less-educated people speak a simpler versions, littered with colloquial phrases.

Kaian
Spoken by the Kaius barbarians. They were not a part of the union, and thus retained their language and other unique traditions. However, many of the Kaius barbarians know the Kalestien tongue, especially those living in Oni’kel and the border regions.

Ertian
The Ertians speak the same language, with a variety of dialects from their respective region. Those of the nation of Ertia most commonly speak in Kalestien, however, as they see so much trade from the northern continent. Many Ertian nationals speak both Ertian and Kalestien fluently. Samdrans reject northern influence, and thus, speak a unified dialect of Ertian formed from the various other Ertian dialects, as their nation was founded by women from all over the sub-continent. Shyons speak in several dialects of Ertian as the nation is so large, and more urban Shyons maybe fluent in Kalestien as well. Rural Shyons, however, speak in their native Ertian dialect.

Draconic
A language created between mortals and dragons to allow them to communicate. Dragons cannot form words in the languages of other races, so instead, they created a language using runic forms to communicate with the people who serve them. This language is known to all dragons, passed down through their genetic memory. There are no dialects, the exact same Draconic language is written the same on either side of the world.

Arcanist
A secretive language known only to initiated sorcerers. It is very obscure, and every word holds power, and combined, creates a spell. This is not a language that is used for communication, however, Arcanist is only for spellcasting in sorcery.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Elemental Races: Matrilineal

Post by J. M. Vincent » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:55 pm

After doing a little reading on Native American cultures, I learned that many tribes are matrilineal, meaning that they trace their genealogy through a direct maternal line, while many other cultures are patrilineal, with the inheritance of the father's name. Considering that the ability for elementalism is dependent on mother, it would make sense for the elemental races to rely on a matrilineal structure for their societies--at least those that can reproduce with other races. That fact alone would keep the culture more oriented toward maternal descent, while other races like Asath and Eain'Idayn that cannot reproduce may vary in their preference toward maternal or paternal genealogy, or be completely gender neutral when tracking genealogy.
J. M. Vincent
Site Admin

Re: Elemental Races: Matrilineal

Post by J. M. Vincent » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Going to start implementing this with a naming system that employs the character's mother's name. Half-blood children of elemental races may follow either naming tradition, depending on their parents' preference.